Considering Renaming Service APIs project to Gateway API

Rob Scott

Jan 27, 2021, 3:34:02 PM1/27/21
to kubernetes-sig-network
Hey Everyone,

We're considering renaming the Service APIs project to Gateway API and would love some feedback from the broader sig-network community. The Service APIs name came from before we had really decided on any resource names for the API and was meant to reflect a goal of the project to extend and build on top of Services. Now that we seem to have settled on names for our key resources, with Gateway as the most prominent one, a transition to the "Gateway API" name could make sense.

We're hoping this updated name could make the project both more discoverable and marketable. Initial users of this API have often naturally referred to it as the "Gateway API" already, and the current "Service APIs" name does not seem to have a clear connection to any of our resources.

We completely recognize that any name change should not be done lightly, so we want to make sure we have as much feedback as possible before making any decision here. I've added this to the agenda for the sig-network meeting on Feb 4 so we can discuss this further there. In the meantime, I'd appreciate any suggestions or feedback either in response to this thread or on the corresponding issue.

Thanks!

Rob

Antonio Ojea

Jan 27, 2021, 4:26:27 PM1/27/21
to Rob Scott, kubernetes-sig-network
+1 to change the name, for what you say ...

> We're hoping this updated name could make the project both more discoverable and marketable. Initial users of this API have often naturally referred to it as the "Gateway API" already, and the current "Service APIs" name does not seem to have a clear connection to any of our resources.

... and because Service APIs is also easy to confuse with Kubernetes v1.Service API

Manuel Zapf

Jan 27, 2021, 4:27:53 PM1/27/21
to Antonio Ojea, Rob Scott, kubernetes-sig-network
As I already said on the issue, I’m super much in favor of changing the name as it will be soo much less confusing for end users, imho

--
Manuel Zapf
Head of Product Open Source

  Load Balancer + Kubernetes Ingress + Service Mesh with Traefik and Traefik Mesh