SIG ContribEx Leadership Shadow Program

Christoph Blecker

Jun 10, 2022, 3:27:40 PM6/10/22
to kubernetes-s...@googlegroups.com

Hi SIG ContribEx,

We want to bring fresh faces into SIG Contributor Experience Leadership (both chairs and technical leads) to improve the SIG’s health and velocity. With that, we are opening up applications for chair and TL shadows.

As a shadow, you will work closely with the existing chairs and TLs by taking up the day-to-day activities of running the SIG and work on at least one “long standing improvement project”, like better tracking boards or improved automation. This shadow program will be similar to the Release Team Shadow program. Based on your performance, the current leads will talk to you about stepping up to become a SIG Chair or TL.

Who is eligible to apply as a shadow?

  • Must be an active Kubernetes or Kubernetes SIGs GitHub org member

  • Must be familiar with ContribEx’s goals & responsibilities

  • Must be able to commit to a minimum of 8 hours/week

  • Should be active within at least one subproject

  • For TL: Should be proficient in go

If you are interested in becoming a SIG Contribex Chair or Technical Lead, please fill out this application - https://forms.gle/c9uDJQ4Gme1YrcU68.

The application will remain open until Friday, 24th June 2022. We will notify all applicants of their status no later than Friday, 1st July 2022.

FAQs about the Shadow program:

  1. I want to shadow, but I'm not able to work on Kubernetes during my workday. Can I still do this?

    1. Mostly, yes. There are some obligations, such as attending or running meetings that may need to be done at specific times. Having consistent time to commit to the role is important, however many of the responsibilities of these roles are flexible as to the specific time of day you do them in.

  2. What is the time commitment needed for a SIG lead?

    1. This varies depending on the time of year. There are certain activities like larger projects, annual reports, and KubeCon prep that can take more time, but on average you should expect to be able to invest 8-10 hours a week on Contribex activities.

If you have any questions about the program, please reach out to SIG Contribex leads or ask in the #sig-contribex channel on slack.

Thanks,

SIG ContribEx Leads (Nikhita, Bob, Christoph and Alison)