Migration Request for BringYourOwnHost provider

Anusha Hegde

Dec 3, 2021, 10:36:08 AM12/3/21
to kubernetes-sig-cluster-lifecycle

Hi Folks,
We have developed a new provider - Cluster API Provider for BringYourOwnHost
This is a provider for provisioning Kubernetes nodes on already existing Linux Hosts. The project currently is hosted under vmware-tanzu, we want to migrate this to kubernetes-sigs to align with rest of the provider community.
We want to encourage potential collaborations across companies (ongoing / future talks with Twilio and Red Hat) and is much easier if we are a kubernetes-sigs project.

In the latest CAPI Office Hours on Dec 1st, we provided an introduction and a short demo on what the BYOH provider is - you can find the YouTube recording here

Would be great to hear your thoughts / questions and if we receive a few +1s, we will go ahead and create a migration request on GitHub.

Thanks,
Anusha Hegde

Fabrizio Pandini

Dec 6, 2021, 4:52:35 AM12/6/21
to kubernetes-sig-cluster-lifecycle
Hi Anusha!
Great to see new providers willing to move under the kubernetes-sigs org, and super happy to hear about potential synergies with Twillio and RedHat on BYOH!

I'm +1 for this move, but let's wait for the SIG leads to chime in; in the meantime PTAL to
https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/github-management/subproject-responsibilities.md

After this thread gets +1 from all the SIG leads and legal issues about donation are sorted out, the next step is to open an issue of type "Repository creation/migration (non staging repo)" in https://github.com/kubernetes/org
Looking forward to this to happen!
Fabrizio

Lubomir I. Ivanov

Dec 6, 2021, 11:25:59 AM12/6/21
to Anusha Hegde, kubernetes-sig-cluster-lifecycle
hello, the part i care the most about is the source code licensing.

once this moves to k-sigs, you'd have to update all license headers in
source code files according to the k8s requirements:
https://github.com/vmware-tanzu/cluster-api-provider-bringyourownhost/blob/main/agent/host_agent_suite_test.go#L1-L2
vs
https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/cluster-api/blob/main/bootstrap/util/configowner.go#L1-L15

but other than that i don't see a problem with this provider being
developed in the wild.
+1

lubomir
--

Anusha Hegde

Jan 25, 2022, 4:20:33 AM1/25/22
to kubernetes-sig-cluster-lifecycle
Thank you Fabrizio & Lubomir for the +1 :)

@lubomir, Sure, we will update all the license headers prior to migration.

Gentle reminder for other SIG Leads. Would appreciate if y'all take a look and share your concerns if any.

P.S - we have also started a Community Office Hours - here are the meeting notes
Message has been deleted