Deletion Protection

Daniel Smith

Sep 23, 2021, 8:12:20 PM9/23/21
to kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-cli, K8s API Machinery SIG
Hi SIGs Arch, CLI, and API Machinery--

Please take a look at this proposed KEP: https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/2840/files

We're looking for feedback on:
1) is the set of use cases complete enough?
2) is the mechanism acceptable?
3) (assuming yes) Do we need to launch with a "liens" subresource (to facilitate separation of permissions) or can that come in a follow-up release?

Thank you!

David Eads

Sep 24, 2021, 4:55:36 PM9/24/21
to Daniel Smith, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-cli, K8s API Machinery SIG
Regarding number 3.

The power to create and remove liens does not imply the power to change the intent of a resource (spec) or the power to change the current state of reporting (status).  We just had another parallel question about this in apimachinery slack this week for finalizers.  Given our previous track record at "add a subresource later" (see finalizers again), I think it makes more sense to start the feature with that in mind.  It will also make it possible to write controllers that leverage the feature without having to rewrite said controllers later.