Orphaned FG fdr a implemented KEP: 606

Francesco Romani

Jan 25, 2023, 10:37:18 AM1/25/23
to kubernetes-si...@googlegroups.com
Hi sig-architecture!

sig-node is doing an effort of addressing long standing beta features,
avoiding perma-betas.

Among other work, in the 1.27 cycle we would like to graduate to GA the
kubelet podresources API (
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/blob/v1.26.1/pkg/features/kube_features.go#L513)

I filed https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/3743 and I
started working on the paperwork, but noticed the fact the relevant KEP
(https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/tree/master/keps/sig-node/606-compute-device-assignment#feature-enablement-and-rollback)

is already `implemented`
(https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/commits/master/keps/sig-node/606-compute-device-assignment)

This was done in the 1.22 cycle, when the podresources v1 was added,
side to side to the older v1alpha1. It seems in the process we orphaned
the FG.

Note: we can't trivially lock the FG because an old bug on windows
(https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/78628) which I'm also
working to fix (https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/115133)

My question is: processwise, what's the best way forward? move back the
KEP to `implementable`? just file the code change, once the relevant
blockers are fixed? file a new KEP just to untangle the state?

Neither of the above seems great, and I wasn't able to find examples or
docs (my bad) to guide me here.

Apologies if this is not the best forum, feel free to redirect, and
thanks for any help

--
Francesco Romani
SWE @ Red Hat

Jordan Liggitt

Jan 25, 2023, 1:50:10 PM1/25/23
to Francesco Romani, kubernetes-si...@googlegroups.com
If there are bugs that keep the feature from working when the gate is enabled, I would put the KEP back into implementable and complete the fixes under the existing KEP, with "GA graduation" corresponding to "feature gate is locked on and the feature is always available on all platforms"