Container Runtime Interface (CRI) staging repository

Sascha Grunert

Mar 7, 2024, 3:32:56 AMMar 7
to kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Hey SIG Architecture,

I'd like to request a new staging repository which should contain the
CRI client implementation and is going to be owned by SIG Node. The
benefits of the new repository are:

- cri-tools could stop vendoring internal k/k code
- kubeadm could use the repo to remove the crictl binary dependency
- third party tools can interact with the CRI in a defined way

The code changes would look like this:
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/compare/master...saschagrunert:cri-staging

We already have the cri-api staging repository owned by SIG Node:
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/staging/src/k8s.io/cri-api
I don't see the existing code fitting into that, because some
implementations (like container runtimes) just need the API rather
than the whole client.

All the best,
Sascha

Davanum Srinivas

Mar 7, 2024, 6:08:37 AMMar 7
to Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Sascha,

As long as SIG-node signs off on the k/org we should generally be fine with it here. +1 from me. we can ask other sig chairs to chime in here or on the k/org PR

thanks,
Dims

Sascha Grunert

Mar 7, 2024, 6:32:38 AMMar 7
to kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I created the issue and corresponding PR in k/org:

https://github.com/kubernetes/org/issues/4805
https://github.com/kubernetes/org/pull/4806

Sergey Kanzhelev

Mar 7, 2024, 8:01:29 PMMar 7
to Sascha Grunert, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernete...@googlegroups.com
Generally proto clients are not that hard to implement. I have added more context into the issue you filed.

I support the idea. There are some caveats I also mentioned in the issue, like whether keeping log statements in a library is a good idea.

/Sergey

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-node" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-node/CAPre7xCRcVZmtq86zpb8v3iVBixzuA_TaXOs%2B7uJj-a6vbe04w%40mail.gmail.com.