Proposal: Add KEP # to feature gate comments

Tim Hockin

May 27, 2021, 4:47:00 PM5/27/21
to kubernetes-sig-architecture
It would be super helpful to crawl backwards from a feature gate definition to the KEP which owns it.

I propose we add a `// kep: #NNN` comment to feature gates, after `// owner:` and before `//alpha:`.

I started adding a bunch for sig-net.  I don't think we HAVE to back-populate this, but we can ask for it going forward.

If no disagreement I will send a small PR.

Tim

Davanum Srinivas

May 27, 2021, 5:10:41 PM5/27/21
to Tim Hockin, kubernetes-sig-architecture
+1 from me.

Jeremy Rickard

May 27, 2021, 5:24:58 PM5/27/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Tim Hockin, kubernetes-sig-architecture

John Belamaric

May 27, 2021, 5:39:01 PM5/27/21
to Jeremy Rickard, Davanum Srinivas, Tim Hockin, kubernetes-sig-architecture

Davanum Srinivas

May 27, 2021, 5:40:05 PM5/27/21
to Jeremy Rickard, Tim Hockin, kubernetes-sig-architecture
Eventually, i'd like us to have a https://go.k8s.io/kep/#NNN redirect ... but this works for now.

Bob Killen

Jun 1, 2021, 9:09:14 AM6/1/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Jeremy Rickard, Tim Hockin, kubernetes-sig-architecture
+1 to the idea, it should make tracking things down much easier.

As for the redirect, we do have something in place right now - features.k8s.io/#NNNN
e.g. https://features.k8s.io/536 will direct you to the Topology aware routing of services KEP tracking issue

Tim Hockin

Jun 1, 2021, 10:43:46 AM6/1/21
to Bob Killen, Davanum Srinivas, Jeremy Rickard, kubernetes-sig-architecture
I added kep.k8s.io a few days ago :)

I have a budding inaugural PR as I go thru sig-net KEPs.

Tim

Walter Fender

Jun 1, 2021, 5:09:03 PM6/1/21
to Tim Hockin, Bob Killen, Davanum Srinivas, Jeremy Rickard, kubernetes-sig-architecture
+1. Also seems like it makes things like checking the FG's alpha/beta/GA state easier.

Tim Hockin

Jun 1, 2021, 5:23:46 PM6/1/21
to Walter Fender, Bob Killen, Davanum Srinivas, Jeremy Rickard, kubernetes-sig-architecture