Introduction of Prod Readiness Review in KEPs

John Belamaric

May 4, 2020, 1:16:37 PM5/4/20
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-leads, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, Kubernetes Release Team
Hello Kubernetes folks,

The last couple of releases we have been working on a production readiness review process. PRR is intended to make sure that the features we add to Kubernetes are safe to operate in production. Mostly that means:
1) they can be monitored
2) they can be turned off without major consequence (non-GA features)
3) they do not block rollbacks or cause data loss or corruption on rollback
4) they will scale
5) they provide enough telemetry and operator docs to be supportable in the field

As part of this, the following PR adds a number of questions the KEP template:

This is set to merge, making these questions required for 1.19 KEPs. The specific questions required vary based on the stage of the feature. In the PR, approval of the production readiness review is NOT blocking in 1.19, however answering the questions as best you can is required.

Please take a look, this email is to start a lazy consensus period ending at noon US Pacific time on Thursday May 7th.

Thanks,
The Prod Readiness Subproject of SIG Arch