[DEPRECATION] Dynamic log sanitization removal in 1.24

Elana Hashman

Dec 10, 2021, 4:41:11 PM12/10/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-instrumentation, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Greetings programs,

Dynamic log sanitization (KEP-1753) was added as an experimental alpha feature under SIG Instrumentation in the 1.20 release. When it was introduced, the SIG had some reservations about the feature and its performance, but concluded that an alpha POC would be low risk. We encouraged exploring alternatives, and that eventually resulted in the implementation of static analysis as part of our presubmit CI to ensure secrets are not being logged. This alternative implementation has graduated to stable in the 1.23 cycle.

During SIG Instrumentation's Dec. 9 meeting, we discussed the support burden of this feature and the issues this may cause in blocking other new logging improvements. Hence, we would like to propose this feature for deprecation in the 1.24 cycle. Since this is an alpha feature, this means it will be entirely removed.

Elana Hashman
Chair
Kubernetes SIG Instrumentation

ehas...@redhat.com

Dec 23, 2021, 3:56:59 PM12/23/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Given that there has been no further discussion, I have opened PRs to update the KEP and a WIP PR for removal:

I will leave holds on the two PRs to give folks some time to provide feedback in the new year, since many people are currently off.

Since this is a deprecation, ideally this should merge early in the dev cycle to ensure sufficient feedback.

- e
This conversation is locked