Reminder: October 2020 Community Meeting this week!

POP

Oct 12, 2020, 5:14:33 PM10/12/20
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hello k-dev,

I'm POP and I'll be your host for the October 2020 (Final Community meeting of 2020) community meeting, which is this Thursday at 10 AM PST (see time converter below). We would love to have everyone attend if they can. As part of moving to a monthly cadence, the host will post the draft notes and final notes to this list as a reminder and as a way for the community to easily check out the SIG status updates.

Date and Time: 5pm UTC (Time zone converter) on Thursday, October 15th 2020

This month, we will be hearing from the following SIGs:

SIG-Instrumentation
SIG-Storage
SIG-Service-Catalog

We will also hear from the Release-Team and Steering Committee

If you have any questions about the meeting, you can reach out to the Contributor Experience SIG in Slack under #sig-contribex.

Thanks and see you soon,
Dan "POP" Papandrea on behalf of SIG Contributor Experience

P.S. - If you want to host the monthly meeting, we're looking for volunteers and first-timers! Please reach out to us on Slack or message Jorge Castro for more info.

POP

Oct 15, 2020, 3:01:43 PM10/15/20
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hello k-dev,

Thank you all for joining us for the last community meeting of 2020 and all the presenters from the various sig's, steering and release team for providing updates.

Here are our notes:

October 15, 2020
  • Moderators : POP (@danpopsd)

  • Note Taker: Cody Crudgington (@thecrudge1)

  • SIG-Instrumentation  (Han Kang https://github.com/logicalhan)

    • Slides/Bullets https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kEG6wnnCdRzpfuDl8GRPzCtKnjhBvh84ESHfif86KZ0/edit#slide=id.g401c104a3c_0_0

    • 3 pillars of observability for sig-instrumentation: Metrics, logs, distributed tracing

    • KEP Status:

      • V2 events api is now graduated.

      • Beta

        • Metrics Stability Framework. SLO type metrics

      • Alpha

        • Efforts being made for structured logging. Went through PRR, links in slides

      • Road to Alpha

        • Dynamic cardinality enforcement

        • Distributed tracing

        • Log sanitation

          • Dynamic log sanitation

          • Sanitization via static analysis

    • Plans for upcoming cycles

      • Metrics stability to GA

      • Kube-state-metrics releases

      • Structured logging to beta

      • Alpha distributed tracing

      • Alpha log sanitation

      • Alpha dynamic cardinality enforcement

      • Instrumentation tools

        • Promq

        • Metrics-server

    • NEED NEW CONTRIBUTORS! PLEASE HELP OUT!

  • Steering Committee(Paris Pittman https://github.com/parispittman)

    • https://github.com/kubernetes/steering

    • Thank you so much to our contributors and community for your kindness and camaraderie during trying times

    • We had an election! Welcome - liggit@ (Jordan), mrbobbytables@ (Bob), and wb dims@(Davanum). spiffxp@ and lachie@ thanks for serving! Every year we are so impressed with how many folks raise their hands for this type of contribution - it’s a true testament to our chop wood carry water community.

      • Thank you to josh, jaice, and ihor for election officer duties!!!

    • Actually - there were TWO elections!

      • Many thank yous to the new code of conduct committee! Karen Chu, Tim Pepper, and Celeste Hogan join Aeva and Tasha. Thanks to Jaice and Carolyn for their service!

    • New:

    • On the schedule:

      • term limits for steering?

      • Untangling various uses of the term ‘member’,

    • Our next public meeting: November 2

    • Please talk to us! #steering-committee, steering @ kubernetes.io,  kubernetes/steering with issues

  • Release Updates (Nabarun Pal https://github.com/palnabarun)

    • Timeline

      • We are in Week 5 of the release (almost halfway through)

      • Code Freeze begins on November 12.

      • Test Freeze is on November 23.

      • Docs PRs should be ready to be reviewed by November 23.

      • Docs Freeze is on November 30.

      • v1.20.0 is planned to be shipped on December 8.

      • You can see the full 1.20 release calendar here

    • New Meeting for Europe + APAC contributors

      • We now conduct a parallel Release Team meeting for Europe + APAC focused contributors.

      • The first meeting was this week.

      • Monday 12:00 UTC/17:30 IST/05:00 PDT

    • Patch Releases

      • v1.19.3 were released yesterday on October 14

      • v1.17.13, v1.18.10 are to be released soon

    • Current Release Branch cuts

      • 1.20.0-alpha.2 was released on October 13

      • 1.20.0-alpha.3, 1.20.0-beta.0 and so on will be released later this month

    • Enhancements

      • Enhancements Freeze in effect since October 6

      • Enhancements Being Tracked: 56

        • Alpha: 23

        • Beta: 17

        • Stable: 16

      • There are 5 exceptions raised as of today for the enhancements freeze.

    • Shadow Program

      • Shadow Orientation is complete

      • We have 29 shadows in the team this cycle!!!

    • We are always welcoming new contributors in SIG Release. Ping us at #sig-release on the Kubernetes Slack.

    • [Stephen] Discussing/modifying the kubernetes/kubernetes release cadence

    • SIG- Storage (Xing Yang https://github.com/xing-yang)

      • Slides/Bullets: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uzS6Q1OmttV-0hzlu_Eublx24nRmWiJQ__J65Sr3hIs/edit?usp=sharing

      • TL;DR

        • 1.19 Release updates

          • Beta

            • Azure disk and vsphere CSI Migration

            • CSI Windows

            • Immutable secrets and configmaps

            • Volume expansion will stay in beta with improvements

              • Offline support detection

            • Volume snapshot will state in beta with improvements

          • Alpha

            • CSI storage capacity tracking

              • Enables local volume dynamic provisioning

            • Generic ephemeral volumes

            • CSI volume health

            • CSIDrive policy fo fsgroup

        • Plans for upcoming cycles

          • CSI volume expansion - Target GA 1.21

            • Planning to deprecate online/offline volume expansion plugin

          • CSI vol.,ume snapshot - Target GA 1.20

          • Non-recursive volume ownership (fsgroup) - Target beta in 1.20

          • CSI driver policy group

        • New features

          • Pass pod service account token to CSI Target 1.20

        • In design / proto

          • Recovery from volume expansion failure

          • Non recursive selinux and csi drive config

          • Ceph csi migration

          • Volume groups

            • Snapshot consistency, failure domain spreading

          • Generic data populator

          • Container Object Storage Interface

        • Cross sig WG’s - Data protection WG sponsored by sig-storage and sig-apps

          • How to quiesce / unquiesce for application snapshots

            • containerNotifier

        • Sig-Apps

          • Volume expansion for statefulsets

          • Pvc cleanup on statefulset deletion / scale down

        • Sig-Scheduling

          • See slides,

  • Service Catalog (Jonathan Berkhahn https://github.com/jberkhahn)

    • Slides/Bullets

      • General updates

        • Maintenance mode the last 6 months.

        • No new major features atm

      • Helm chart repo moved

        • What is the repo link?

      • Mszostok stepping down as chair

    • Updates coming for spec

  • 💬 Open discussions 💬

    • Shoutout for inclusive training!

  • 📣 Announcements 📣

  •  👏  Shoutouts this month 👏

  • @RobKielty Shoutout to @Lauri Apple who is doing fantastic work to manage the collection of CI Signal experience and document formally all of the work we do in a goal-directed way.  When we're done, this will be super useful for both new CI Signalers and anyone interested in navigating the CI tooling to find, report and eliminate non-deterministic test results.  Thank you @Lauri Apple!

  • @pop @jeefy a shoutout for stepping up with the stream help on today's steering committee call.?  good job!

  • Mrbobbytables shoutout to @oikiki for wrangling Enhancements There are FIFTY-TWO tracked enhancements

The esteemed Mr. Augustus needs leads to provide any content for Kubecon! Please have it to him by the end of the day!

This conversation is locked