A note on Hacktoberfest

Bob Killen

Oct 7, 2021, 7:36:04 PMOct 7
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hey there all,

A few folk have reached out about participating in Hacktoberfest[1]. At this time, we do not have any plans to participate. While encouraging new contributors is a wonderful goal, it caused significant problems for the Kubernetes project last year[2] (100s of spam PRs/day). The Hacktoberfest team has made significant improvements to their process to prevent that sort of behavior, but it's just not something we really want to risk right now.

If you encounter new contributors asking about it, please do encourage them to continue to contribute. If you see someone that has done something particularly awesome, please reach out to one of the contribex leads and we might be able to do something about it. :)

Thanks!
- Bob