kubectl moving to staging fully

Maciej Szulik

Nov 4, 2020, 10:36:36 AM11/4/20
to kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-architecture
Hey,
It is with great pleasure and pride I'm announcing that kubectl is
moving final bits over to staging.
The process completed recently with the following set of PRs:
- shared auth components moved to k8s.io/component-helpers
(https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/95761)
- kubectl auth commands move to k8s.io/kubectl
(https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/96145)
- final move of kubectl to staging and creation of kubectl-convert
plugin (https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/96190)

That last PR is still waiting for reviews, but we're hoping it will
merge by the end of this week.
For now, we are still leaving building the kubectl command from the
main repository (cmd/kubectl)
to ensure we don't interfere with the release process. Our next steps
will be to sync with the
release team how to best proceed with efforts to release kubectl
separately, but that's something
we will be undergoing in the next releases.

Here, I'd like to thank each and every person involved with
discussions that trigger this process,
code and design changes and reviews, to decouple kubectl from the main
k/k repository and get
us where we are now. I'd love to name those people but I'm worried
that I might miss out some of you,
but I know y'all know well who you are. Thanks a lot!

Maciej Szulik
SIG-CLI chair and TL

Stephen Augustus

Nov 4, 2020, 10:38:28 AM11/4/20
to Maciej Szulik, kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-architecture
Really awesome to see, Maciej!!

-- Stephen

Tim Hockin

Nov 4, 2020, 11:33:30 AM11/4/20
to Stephen Augustus, Maciej Szulik, kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-architecture
This is great! Way to lead from the front.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-architecture/CAOqU-DQEi_ur-Ah4j%2B7czV9-ur%2BPbE2LoBRyq2rByXzkhH27cw%40mail.gmail.com.

John Belamaric

Nov 4, 2020, 12:34:01 PM11/4/20
to Maciej Szulik, kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-architecture
Excellent, great work!

Bob Killen

Nov 4, 2020, 12:37:41 PM11/4/20
to John Belamaric, Maciej Szulik, kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-architecture

Clayton Coleman

Nov 4, 2020, 12:45:09 PM11/4/20
to Bob Killen, John Belamaric, Maciej Szulik, kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-architecture
I believe this deserves a "Finally!"  Now sig-node has to get their act together.... :)