Time Zone in CronJobs

Maciej Szulik

Nov 14, 2021, 3:21:58 AM11/14/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-apps
Hey,
I was recently made aware (1, 2) that some of our users started relying
on an implementation detail that slipped in during upgrading our
cron parsing library. That is, it's possible to set time zone for a
cron job through CRON_TZ variable preceding the schedule spec.

I've added the topic for tomorrow's (Nov 15th) sig apps call, during
which we'll decide how to proceed with this topic. If this is something
you have interest in, feel free to join the call at 6pm CET / 12pm EST / 9am PST.

Maciej

Maciej Szulik

Nov 16, 2021, 10:15:13 AM11/16/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-apps
Following up on the conversations from yesterday's sig-apps call
(see notes - [1] and recording [2]). The outcome of the discussion
is that we've decided to not break users that started using that
feature. We'll update our docs with warnings that this feature is
not supported and not recommended for production use, since it
relies on the implementation detail. I've created a PR to the controller
which will add appropriate warning [3]. I'll try to put together a blog
post describing and apologizing for the situation and explaining
next steps.

Finally, I'm planning on picking up the feature work to add proper
time zone support for cron jobs in the next release, so that we can
point users to a supported solution.

Maciej

Clayton Coleman

Nov 16, 2021, 11:05:13 AM11/16/21
to Maciej Szulik, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-apps
Will we warn users?  Can we warn users?

Maciej Szulik

Nov 16, 2021, 11:16:45 AM11/16/21
to Clayton Coleman, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, kubernetes-sig-apps
On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:05 PM Clayton Coleman <ccol...@redhat.com> wrote:
Will we warn users?  Can we warn users?

Yes, Jordan pointed me to a warning mechanism [1], I've updated my PR
with appropriate warnings during both creation and updates of cronjob.
I've just submitted [2] and will update my PR with pointers to that doc.

This conversation is locked