Renaming default branch for repos

Nikhita Raghunath

Jun 15, 2020, 12:35:04 AM6/15/20
to kubernetes-dev, kubernetes-sig-contribex
Hello everyone,

Recently, there have been a number of questions asked about renaming the default branch on repos from the current "master".

We are investigating what technical pieces would need to be in place in order to possibly do this (CI systems like prow, contributor workflow docs, code search and discoverability, other automation systems like cherry picks, etc).

Until we complete this investigation, we would ask repo maintainers to *not* attempt to rename their default branch. There may be unintended consequences of doing this.

If you have questions or concerns, please get in touch with us via the #sig-contribex channel on Slack, or our e-mail list.

Thank you,
Nikhita, on behalf of the Kubernetes GitHub Administration Team