RFC: proposal to deprecate --record flag

Maciej Szulik

May 22, 2021, 6:10:57 AM5/22/21
to kubernetes-sig-cli, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hey all,
During last SIG-CLI call [1] I brought under discussion the possibility
of deprecating --record flag which is used to record invoked command
and its arguments in object annotations.

The current mechanism is implemented only across a few commands,
on top of that, we're working on promoting to beta sending to the server
the command and its arguments inside HTTP headers [2]. In 1.22
this mechanism is promoted to beta, and thus will on by default.

I'll give folks the usual 2 weeks of lazy consensus (by Jun 6th),
after which time I'll open a PR and we'll start deprecating this
functionality.

Maciej

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r0YElcXt6G5mOWxwZiXgGu_X6he3F--wKwg-9UBc29I/edit#heading=h.2zzbdmokauz2
[2] https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/issues/859