[NOTICE] Upcoming Patch Releases to Fix Tagging Issue

Daniel Mangum

Dec 17, 2020, 6:09:53 PM12/17/20
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com

Hey folks,

Due to a bug in our release machinery, the recent v1.20.0 release, as well as the patch releases for v1.19.5, v1.18.13, and v1.17.15 all had both the release tag and the subsequent rc.0 tag on the same commit. This resulted in subsequent builds appending the commit hash to the release version instead of the RC (e.g. v1.20.0-1+2e6a0a0a126299 instead of v1.20.1-rc.0.1+2e6a0a0a126299) (problem outlined in this issue). The problem was recognized when the periodic jobs began to fail because the version did not pass the regex used in the script that downloads the latest Kubernetes build for the given branch (example failure). We encountered this same issue almost exactly a year ago (reference, k-dev message).

The immediate fix was to manually tag a subsequent commit with rc.1, which caused all of the jobs that extract the Kubernetes version to download based on the version markers to start passing (example for 1.20). However, it was also reported that the published artifacts for the v1.17.15 release had been built with the incorrect version tag (i.e. they reported v1.17.16-rc.0 as their version). This is confusing for users who have downloaded binaries for an official release, but are told that they are using an RC.

To mitigate this issue, a fix has been made to the logic that resulted in the official release and RC tags being created on the same commit, and we are planning on sending out patch releases for all versions tomorrow morning (12/18).

We apologize for the confusion, especially leading into a busy holiday season for many folks. This bug was introduced in the migration from the anago bash scripts to the new krel release tool, which has allowed us to react quickly to and avoid many similar issues due to stronger testing and a more structured implementation. We will continue to do our best to make sure that incidents such as this do not occur in the future. Please keep an eye on the kubernetes-announce mailing list for notification of the new patch releases.

Dan

Stephen Augustus

Dec 17, 2020, 6:32:26 PM12/17/20
to Daniel Mangum, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
A+ comms, Dan.

-- Stephen

This conversation is locked