[ANNOUNCEMENT] Kubernetes 1.22 Code Freeze is Coming!

Savitha Raghunathan

Jun 28, 2021, 12:13:42 PM6/28/21
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release, releas...@kubernetes.io

Hi Kubefolx,

We are into the Week 10 of the Kubernetes 1.22 release cycle. Next week on Thursday, July 8th, Code Freeze would come into effect at 18:00 Pacific Time.

What does this mean for you?

If you are working on an enhancement for the Kubernetes 1.22 release, you should have your k/k PRs merged by 18:00 Pacific Time on July 8th. After the code freeze comes into effect, the Enhancements team will remove any unfinished enhancements from the milestone and you would need to file an exception in order to get your enhancement added back into the release. Please keep in mind that after code freeze, only release-blocking issues and PRs will be allowed back into the milestone.

If you haven’t already, please provide the Enhancements team with all the relevant PRs for your enhancements by linking them to the KEP issue, so we can be sure to track the status as we get closer to the Code Freeze! If you are unsure if you can make it by Code Freeze and would like to defer to 1.23, please let us know and we will help you in updating the milestone of your enhancement.

Note: The deadline for opening a placeholder PR falls on the day after code freeze - July 9th. We would like to encourage the enhancement owners to proactively create a placeholder PR early to avoid the last-minute rush.

In case you have any concerns, please feel free to reply to this email or reach to me or one of the Release Team lead shadows on #sig-release of Kubernetes Slack.

Thank you :)

Regards,

Savitha Raghunathan,

On behalf of the 1.22 Release Team