Call for Outreachy mentors

Alison Dowdney

Mar 2, 2021, 5:03:04 AM3/2/21
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Hi K8s contributors -

tl;dr - this is similar to Google Summer of Code with some twists.

Kubernetes is participating in the Outreachy internship program. Outreachy's goal is to support people from groups underrepresented in the technology industry. Interns will work remotely with mentors for three months - from May to August 2021.

Need:
- A planned project for an intern to work on for three months and a mentor to go along with it. (We can have multiple interns at the same time if we identify different mentors and projects)
-The project does not need to be a programming task. It can be focused on documentation, web development, marketing, translation, user experience design, graphic design and more. It can be a series of issues that add to a larger project or one mid-size project - your call.

Deadlines:
Mentoring is a rewarding experience for both mentors and mentees! If you would like to mentor or sponsor, please reach out to Alison Dowdney (@alisondy on slack) or Nikhita Raghunath (@nikhita on slack). The deadline for project information is March 7, 2021.

Application Process:
As part of the application process, candidates will be required to make a small contribution. During this period, it is suggested to:
  • Label issues with the `good first issue` label so that candidates can work on these tasks for their application. High touch - make a project board with those issues on it and we can direct them there in the application.
  • Interact with candidates so that you can make an informed decision while selecting your intern. It is important that you enjoy the whole internship experience! You can send them to your SIGs/WGs slack channel for a great community experience.

We can select requirements of the intern on the Outreachy application. (ie - fundamental experience with Go, fundamental understanding of a container, etc.) You can read more about Outreachy mentor guidelines here.

Thanks,
Alison and Nikhita

This conversation is locked