Re: Release Team Reminders and Release Cadence

Stephen Augustus

Mar 29, 2021, 9:56:30 PM3/29/21
to Josh Berkus, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-testing
Thanks for raising this, Josh!

I'm seeing several items here that, in my mind, are the responsibility of the relevant code- or process-owning SIGs.

Since I agree that the onus should not be on SIG Release and the Release Team to remind, I've added the leads list and k-dev to discuss.

Lauri and team have been working on some great documentation on process improvements that is worth review.

Adding SIG Process/Workflow Guide and related images: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5565

Add Program Manager governance docs: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/pull/5566

-- Stephen

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021, 20:19 Josh Berkus <jbe...@redhat.com> wrote:
SIG-Release:

Since the KEP for a 4-month release cycle is now live[1], I want to
raise a particular issue that is already a problem, and a 4-month
release cycle will throw into sharp relief that we need to address:

  Code not getting fixed or matured
  unless the release team pings somebody several times

I'm gonna call this the "Release Team Reminder" (RTR) problem.  As a
project, we've developed the habit of waiting for an RTR for any of the
following:
- fixing failing/flaking tests
- fixing broken tests
- updating dependancies
- moving features to beta or GA

Right now, we have a roughly 1-month period each cycle where there's no
RTR.  With a 4-month cycle, we'll have a 2-month period.  This clearly
needs to be addressed as part of the KEP for the 4-month release.

What should a proposed solution for this look like, though?  While one
possible solution is just to have the CI and Feature teams in the RT
start pinging people 2 weeks into the cycle, that doesn't sound great.
It seems like there's a huge problem in relying on the RT for this in
the first place; shouldn't primary tracking of failing tests and
features that have been in alpha for 3 releases happen somewhere else in
the project?

[1] https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/2567

Josh Berkus
Kubernetes Community