Release branch cherry-pick clarification

Adolfo García Veytia

Jul 27, 2021, 1:22:51 PMJul 27
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion

Dear Community,

Multiple folks reached out to us via Slack [0] highlighting that the master branch in kubernetes/kubernetes has unusually diverged from the release-1.22 branch. Given that, we would like to highlight that Branch Managers do not fast-forward release branches anymore since the Kubernetes 1.19 release cycle[1]. This means that commits merged into the master branch (by applying the v1.22 milestone) are not automatically part of the release branch.

The release-1.22 branch was created during the v1.22.0-rc.0 release cut on July 20th. We’re right now within Test Freeze [2], which means that any pull request that land on k/k:master should fall into one of the two following scenarios:

  1. If you expect to add your PR to the v1.22 milestone, please follow up the merge with the appropriate cherry-pick to the release-1.22 branch. This should mainly affect test fixes and stability improvements.

  2. If your PR will not be added to the milestone, then it will follow the usual flow and merge after Code Thaw, which will happen right after the v1.22.0 release (August 4th). We suggest adding a brief hint on the PR body to let the reviewers know it will not go into the v1.22 milestone.

During the v1.19 cycle, SIG Release reworked the release cycle to move Code Freeze closer to the release day. We removed the branch fast-forwards to avoid putting the burden of syncing the branches on a single Branch Manager. While we look forward to reviewing the existing and upcoming cherry-pick PRs, the branch management team will still keep an eye on master merges to ensure a seamless release process.

Best,

Adolfo // Carlos // Jeremy // Sascha // Stephen (on behalf of SIG Release)

[0]: https://kubernetes.slack.com/archives/CJH2GBF7Y/p1627304412262100

[1]: https://groups.google.com/g/kubernetes-sig-release/c/kb7S9_Y3IDw/m/Ca5oxCyJAgAJ [2]: https://github.com/kubernetes/sig-release/blob/728940e/releases/release_phases.md#test-freeze

Adolfo García Veytia — Research uServers | +52 55 5351-1400 | web.uservers.net