[ANNOUNCE] Nominations open for upcoming Steering Committee election

Alison Dowdney

Sep 28, 2021, 2:27:18 PMSep 28
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

It's Steering Committee election season again!
We're getting a bit of a late start this year but over the next 6 weeks we will be electing four (4) seats on the Steering Committee. Each of these seats will serve for a two (2) year term. Davanum "Dims" Srinivas, Jordan Liggitt, and Bob Killen are halfway through their terms and will continue to serve on the Steering Committee[1].
The first phase of the election has two parts:
 1. Candidate nominations
 2. Voter exceptions
 ## Nominations
 If you would like to nominate yourself or someone else for one of the four available seats, follow the process in the election guide[2]. This involves writing a candidate issue, posting to kubernetes-dev, and writing a bio and information about your candidacy.
 ## Exceptions
 The full list of current voters by GitHub username is posted in the election repository: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/events/elections/2021/voters.yaml [4]
 The requirements for voting are to have had at least 50 project contributions in the last year and being a current member of a Kubernetes GitHub organization. We do our best to source contribution data from many areas however we know that many types of contributions to the project are difficult to measure and we apologize for any not counted. If we've missed you for any reason, please file an exception request[3] and we'll take a look as soon as possible.
## New Voting System
This is the first year we will be using Elekto[5] for the Kubernetes Steering elections. Elekto was commissioned as an internship project for us by the CNCF. You'll find it has a much more modern UI, and does not rely on email at all to enable voting. It uses GitHub authentication so all we need to know is your GitHub username. If you log in to Elekto at https://elections.k8s.io/app/elections/2021, you can also directly check your eligibility if you don't want to search through the YAML file linked above.
## Schedule
The following are the critical dates for this election:
* September 28 - Announcement of Election and publication of voters list
* October 14 - All candidate bios due by 00:00 UTC (5PM PST)
* October 18 - Election begins
* October 31 - Deadline to submit voter exception requests
* November 4 - Election closes at 00:00 UTC (5PM PST)
* November 7 - Public announcement of Results at Public Steering Committee Meeting
We will be posting regular updates to kubernetes-dev during the election as well as updates in the community meeting and on Slack.
## Resources
[1] Steering Committee:  https://github.com/kubernetes/steering - who sits on the committee and terms, their projects and meeting info
[3] Exception Request: https://elections.k8s.io/app/elections/2021/exception - form to fill out to get added as a voter if we've missed you
[4] Voters List: https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/events/elections/2021/voters.yaml - GitHub usernames for everyone qualified to vote in this election

[5] Elekto: https://elekto.dev - Our new elections platform
Thank you from all your election officers. If you have any questions, you can reach us via elec...@k8s.io, or message us on Slack any time.
Alison Dowdney
Josh Berkus
Noah Kantrowitz

ali...@alisondowdney.com

Sep 28, 2021, 2:40:02 PMSep 28
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Apologies - seems like I made a mistake with the formatting. Here's an easier to read version of the annoucement