Update on Release Cadence KEP

Jeremy Rickard

Apr 15, 2021, 3:01:53 PM4/15/21
to kubernetes-sig-release, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Hey kubefolx,

I wanted to provide another update surrounding KEP #2567 (The Release Cadence KEP). First of all, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to review and provide extensive feedback. We addressed most of the feedback that has been provided and have explicitly added more detail around our communication plans surrounding this change.

The current plan, outlined by the KEP, is to continue the *3* Release Per Cadence that we adopted in an ad hoc manner in 2020. Kubernetes 1.22 and Kubernetes 1.23 will each be approximately 15 weeks, with the following tentative release dates:

Kubernetes 1.22: August 2nd (tentative)
Kubernetes 1.23: December 14th (tentative)

The KEP also includes notional dates for 2022.

At this time, we'd like to invite everyone to provide a final review of the KEP https://github.com/kubernetes/enhancements/pull/2567 ahead of the SIG Release meeting on Tuesday. If you have no additional feedback and would like to lgtm or approve the KEP, feel free to do so ahead of the meeting.

Thank you for your patience as we iterate through this important KEP!

Davanum Srinivas

Apr 15, 2021, 4:49:55 PM4/15/21
to Jeremy Rickard, kubernetes-sig-release, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a ton for driving this Jeremy!

-- Dims

Lauri Apple

Apr 15, 2021, 7:08:51 PM4/15/21
to Davanum Srinivas, Jeremy Rickard, kubernetes-sig-release, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-architecture, kubernetes-sig-testing
Hey everyone: Earlier this week SIG Release leads had a retro to reflect on this KEP's evolution and discuss ways to improve our workflow. The image I've included here shows the results: white PostIts = what could have gone better; yellow PostIts = actions to remedy. (The Enhancements-related topic will be discussed via the Enhancements subproject.)

We've got quite a few policies to work out in SIG Release and Release Engineering in the coming months, and will apply the retro "actions" to the process of developing them—ie through mailing list discussions, collaborative conversations during community meetings, and async docs (with the intention to transfer text into trackable GH issues ASAP after some initial group-effort drafting). Please review our policy topics backlog, and feel free to add your input on those items.

I'll spin up a template for each policy topic so we can keep meeting discussions focused and productive and encourage async contributionspopulating the templates beforehand with available info to organize context and accelerate coherent storytelling. Here's the discussion template for our next policy topic in Rel Eng: Policy regarding backports of dependency updates. Feel free to add your thoughts there, and we'll pick up the topic at the April 27 community meeting.

Thanks everyone for your contributions and efforts on this KEP. We're getting there.—Lauri

Action items - Release leads retro.png

Sascha Grunert

Apr 23, 2021, 6:30:01 AM4/23/21
to kubernetes-sig-release, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-sig-architecture, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion
Hey kubefolx,

The KEP got approved by every stakeholder except SIG Testing. We will now set a lazy consensus until next Wednesday, April 28 at 4pm US eastern time and assume that we will get the required feedback until then.

If we don't hear anything from SIG Testing until next Wednesday, then we're kindly asking for an additional explicit approval from a Steering Committee member.

All the best,
Sascha