[ACTION REQUIRED] kubernetes/kubernetes will be updating go1.17 shortly

Stephen Augustus

Aug 24, 2021, 7:18:35 PMAug 24
to Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release
Kubernetes Community,

In order to update kubernetes/kubernetes to go1.17, we need to cut over a variety of presubmits/periodics to versions of kubekins-e2e and krte (KinD Runtime Environment) images which use the new Golang major.

New variants of those images have been built here: https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/pull/23354

The PR to utilize go1.17-based images is here: https://github.com/kubernetes/test-infra/pull/23358
This PR only touches presubmits/periodics targeting kubernetes/kubernetes; there are lots of jobs outside of that repo that use kubekins-e2e/krte, so we're carefully trying to not cause churn on other repos.

Once this PR merges, it will block kubernetes/kubernetes PRs until https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/103692 has merged.

The update to go1.17 on kubernetes/kubernetes will also enforce a minimum Golang version of go1.17 (1.17.0).

Some suggestions (once https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/103692 has merged):
  • Update your local version to go1.17: https://golang.org/dl/
  • For open PRs modifying dependencies (go.mod, go.sum), be sure to step through your commits and run: hack/lint-dependencies.sh
  • In a separate commit run: hack/update-vendor.sh
  • For open PRs modifying *.go files, run: hack/update-gofmt.sh
Any questions, comments, or concerns can be directed to:

-- Stephen