Re: [kubernetes-sig-testing] PodUtils are now included Metrics

Cole Wagner

Jan 15, 2021, 7:21:29 PM1/15/21
to Grant Mccloskey, kubernetes-dev, kubernetes-sig-testing, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the work on this Grant and Aaron! This is awesome to finally have!

Anyone interested in switching their jobs to use the PodUtils (sometimes referred to as prowjob or pod decoration) should check out the pod utility docs or the complete job cookbook for examples.

- Cole Wagner

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:00 PM 'Grant Mccloskey' via kubernetes-sig-testing <kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello All, Happy Friday

TL;DR
- PodUtil jobs were previously excluded from Kettle/Metrics (Bootstrap.py jobs were the only ones counted)
- These jobs are now included in Flake Data as of #20500
- Everyone should be free to migrate jobs to PodUtils without fear of losing metrics

Previously we only had metrics for Bootstrap jobs as a result of how kettle collected job metadata and how our queries collected data. As of #20500 the requisite Kettle and Metric changes have been added to support PodUtils. The Flakes query has been updated in #20500 though there are some other queries that still might be outstanding (See Open Issue).

If you see an issue in the results, please create an issue and assign me. Thanks All!

Have a great weekend,
      Grant on behalf of Sig-Testing

Grant Mccloskey

Jan 19, 2021, 6:47:22 AM1/19/21
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com

Grant Mccloskey

Jan 21, 2021, 11:11:14 PM1/21/21
to kuberne...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Quick followup, the Flake Metric query was updated to reflect the PodUtil job changes and also now includes both CI jobs and Periodics. See flakes-latest.json

Some show a significant amount of flakes and low consistency over the last week:
"pr:pull-kubernetes-e2e-gce-ubuntu-containerd": {
"consistency": 0.869,
"flakes": 56,

"ci-kubernetes-cached-make-test": {
"consistency": 0.131,
"flakes": 53,

"ci-kubernetes-e2e-gci-gce-ip-alias": {
"consistency": 0.589,
"flakes": 23,
It might be nice for different SIGs to track flakes they care about and for consumers to have some nicer UI/UX around metrics so I created an ISSUE around building some static site around the metrics.

Ricardo Katz

Jan 22, 2021, 5:31:59 AM1/22/21
to Grant Mccloskey, kuberne...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com
Just to add a bit more and help those wanting to migrate, Dims also put a nice migration docs here:

I’ve migrated two jobs that run manually as a test (thanks Antonio and Chao for the patience!) using this “script” and works fine.

Best,

Benjamin Elder

Feb 2, 2021, 2:24:08 AM2/2/21
to Ricardo Katz, Grant Mccloskey, kubernetes-dev, kubernetes-sig-release, kubernetes-sig-testing
Thank you all for your hard work on this! This is great to finally have :-)

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "kubernetes-sig-testing" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kubernetes-sig-testing/CAG3fPQ6HtU3zdjacrCr8J2q03W5JmqhvSwwHxSvsTaDjSp9%3D1Q%40mail.gmail.com.
This conversation is locked