*ACTION REQUIRED* 1.19 Code Thaw Update

Taylor Dolezal

Jul 21, 2020, 1:12:38 PM7/21/20
to kubernetes-dev, le...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com, kubernetes-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Kubernetes Community,

The Kubernetes 1.19.0-rc.2 release is currently in progress, however, Code Thaw will be delayed until further notice.

With multiple pending 1.19 PRs and critical issues open, we risk diverging our master and release-1.19 branches; creating more difficult bug fixes (for cherry picks), and it means that less accountability that 1.19 issues will be fixed.

Code thaw is a signal that the release-1.19 branch is deemed healthy and mostly release ready so the community can move on to 1.20.

We need help from SIG leads and contributors with:

We are 5 weeks away from our targeted release date (Tues, August 25th) and I would appreciate your help and attention on these blockers. The intent of this elongated 1.19 release was to reduce community burden, but we need to not have it taken as a chance to defer decision making on readiness or try to squeeze things in at the end.

As the community/SIGs/OWNERS narrows down to the short list of release blockers, we will be evaluating and communicating regarding opening for 1.20.

Yours Truly,

Taylor Dolezal

1.19 Release Lead

Sincerely,