[ANNOUNCE] May patch release pre-announcement, one more v1.18.z release, maintenance mode, and extended EOL dates

Stephen Augustus

Apr 23, 2021, 1:29:50 PM4/23/21
to kubernete...@googlegroups.com, Kubernetes developer/contributor discussion, release-...@kubernetes.io, kubernetes-sig-release
Kubernetes Community --

After some discussions with Release Managers and other community members, we’ll be releasing one final release in the v1.18 patch series, which will align with the normally scheduled patches for May.

Upcoming patch releases in May:

  • 1.21.1
  • 1.20.7
  • 1.19.11
  • 1.18.19

Key dates:

  • Cherry pick deadline: May 7
  • Patch release date: May 12

While reviewing the schedules, we also noticed that it would be worthwhile to make the language and dates clearer around releases entering maintenance mode and EOL.

This PR:

  • Extends EOL dates to include a maintenance window (~2 months)

  • Adds maintenance mode dates for active release series

If you have any questions, please let us know by replying to this email or reaching out to us on the #release-management Slack channel.

You can check out the patch releases page for more information about patch releases.

-- Kubernetes Release Managers