Plan for Kubebuilder's Major 4x Version Release Next Year: Action Items and Timeline

Camila Macedo

Sep 16, 2023, 4:45:56 AM9/16/23
to kubebuilder
Hi everybody,

We would like to share our plans for Kubebuilder's next major release (4x), currently planned for February 2024. Therefore, rest assured, if required in your case, you have ample time to update and adjust your projects to ensure a smooth transition with our forthcoming release.

The primary step we recommend is to ensure your projects use the latest/default layout, go/v4, and to avoid dependencies on any optional plugins or APIs that are currently marked as deprecated. By taking these measures, you'll be best positioned to transition to Kubebuilder 4x seamlessly.

Steps to Follow:
  • 1. Review your PROJECT file and confirm that it references:
layout: go.kubebuilder.io/v4
  • 2. If your project isn't using this layout, consider upgrading:
An straightforward way to do this is to re-scaffold your project with the latest version and then layer your custom code on top. We've even provided a helper to streamline this process. For further information see: https://groups.google.com/g/kubebuilder/c/AT7FJVie7U8 . More info about migrations can be found in: https://book.kubebuilder.io/migrations

NOTE: If you maintain a tool that uses Kubebuilder as a library, it's essential to keep it updated with the latest release. This ensures that you offer your users the most recent changes and scaffolds, while also notifying them about any deprecated features.

For a more in-depth understanding and discussion on this topic, please refer to our discussion thread: https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/kubebuilder/discussions/3622.

If you have questions, objections, concerns regarding the plan please feel free to raise them in the discussion topic or in the slack channel. However, if you find issues or have suggestions please raise them in the Kubebuilder repositoryYour feedback and collaboration are invaluable to us, and always welcome!

We would like to thank you for your attention to this matter and continuous support for Kubebuilder.

Warm regards,

CAMILA MACEDO

SOFTWARE ENGINEER,

BLOG: www.dev4devs.com