[ANNOUNCE]: Plans to make stable the plugin versions go/v4-alpha and kustomize/v2-alpha

Camila Macedo

Feb 11, 2023, 3:25:15 AM2/11/23
to kubebuilder

Hi Everybody,

🚀 We just would like to share that we plan to make stable the plugin versions go/v4-alpha[1] and kustomize/v2-alpha[2].

raising_hand What does that mean?

After we make those plugins stable, we cannot address any modification that could result in incompatible breaking changes.

The requirements that result in incompatible backwards changes should be tracked but only addressed when we can have new Golang and Kustomize plugin versions. Historically, it usually takes a couple of years to occur. We need to address significant incompatible and/or required changes to justify a new plugin version.

🙌 If you have suggestions or concerns that could result in incompatible changes for those new plugin versions, then:

We would like to kindly ask you to raise new issues in the Kubebuilder repository(https://github.com/kubernetes-sigs/kubebuilder/issues) with your requests up to the end of this month (Feb 28, 2023), so we can consider, discuss, and try to address them beforehand.

technologist How can this future change impact your projects?

Ideally, your projects will NOT be impacted by it.

You will still be able to use Kubebuilder CLI 3X releases with your projects.

However, you can check the layout used in the PROJECT file config scaffolded for your project:

  • If you have been using the stable releases (layout: go.kubebuilder.io/v3) then you are NOT impacted by it at all

We recommend you plan to migrate your project to adopt go/v4 when it becomes stable (More info[3])

NOTE: If your layout is go/v2 (layout: go.kubebuilder.io/v2)[4], be aware that it was deprecated a long time ago. (More info[5]) We encourage you to be tuned and migrate to go/v4 (stable version) when it becomes available in a future release so that you can take advantage of the new features, bug fixes and all changes addressed so far.

Please, feel free to post your questions in the #kubebuilder[6] slack channel or via issues in the repository.

[1] - https://book.kubebuilder.io/plugins/go-v4-plugin.html

[2] - https://book.kubebuilder.io/plugins/kustomize-v2-alpha.html

[3] - https://book.kubebuilder.io/migration/v3vsv4.html

[4] - https://book.kubebuilder.io/plugins/go-v2-plugin.html