Best practices in migrating schema?

Ivan Voras

Nov 29, 2022, 4:30:53 AM11/29/22
to ksqldb-users
Hello,

Our use case involves modifying the schema every so often. For example, fields may be added to streams, or field calculations might change for tables dependant on those schema.

We are also concerned about not dropping messages, or at least minimizing the amount we drop.

Since ksqldb doesn't support ALTER statements, it looks like the best way to update schemas is with CREATE OR REPLACE. Are there any guarantees or documentation on what happens during this operation? Are messages dropped?

Another question is about dependancies, if there is a stream X, and a table Y depending on it, and we change the fields in X, will we need to re-create Y also? What would be the best way to do it to ensure as little dropped messages and errors as possible?