ksoap2-android connecting to IIS webservices on Android N / 7.0

Simon Marcinkowski

Nov 9, 2016, 8:43:19 AM11/9/16
to ksoap2-android
Hello there,
I have an app which connects perfectly with our IIS services on all SDK versions <24.
When installed on Pixel phone, it doesn't want to connect with same services. I checked changes to Android N related with network security and it looks that those changes affects network behavior.
I followed instructions on google here but I'm not 100% sure it works for me. So the first question is:
1. If correctly implemented network_security_config.xml with certs issued for my website, do I need any code changes when using ksoap2 or it will just work?
Version used in current app is app/libs/ksoap2-android-assembly-3.0.0-RC.2-jar-with-dependencies.jar I know is old but works perfectly so far.
2. Are there any changes in current versions of ksoap2 which possibly affects network connection on Pixel phone? Should I update it?

Now I have this error javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Connection closed by peer .
I'm not sure how properly embed cert in my app. I'm using GoDaddy certs and there are only *.cer certs available and Google mention about PEM and DER formats.
3. If anybody could point me how to properly embed certs, that would be great. I found https://blog.sagaoftherealms.net/?p=578 procedure to embed certs but on linux and I'm on windows platform.
Just a while ago I exported certs using Chrome export cert (DER encoded binary X.509 cer) when browsing our page, embedded in app under res/raw but I got this message Caused by: android.security.net.config.XmlConfigSource$ParserException: Unknown certificates src. Should be one of system|user|@resourceVal at: Binary XML file line #13 so I belive it is in the wrong format.
4. Is it a big difference when I refer to sources using @ (at) char at the beginning? For some reason when I use @ system can't recognize this resource, but when I remove it, it works.

I would be very appreciated for any help. I'm not Java Android developer but I need to fix this quickly,
Thanks in advance! :)