Kryonet wont work in Lan ?

Lars Matthäus

Apr 23, 2016, 2:14:22 PM4/23/16
to kryonet-users
Hey guys,

im currently developing a little game, it should have an local multiplayer mode. I never done something like that before so i studied game development for basic network connections a little bit.
So my game server works pretty well using kryonet. But im only able to join the server using the same pc. When im hosting the server and client on the main pc and right after that im trying to join by starting the game on an other computer (which is in my wlan/lan) it isnt able to connect with the other one. Even when i discover the hosts, it wont show me results. im only getting resutls when im discovering hosts on the computer where i host the server :/. Im using the ports 27960 for udp and 27961 for tcp. Do they need to be open ?
Because im not sure i tried something different. I made a little portscanner which only shows me open ports and i got this result :

Connected to localhost on Port 135
Connected to localhost on Port 139
Connected to localhost on Port 445
Connected to localhost on Port 2869
Connected to localhost on Port 5357

So is it possible to use the open ports showed above for the connection of the server that the player dont need to manually open ports ? Or are they already in use by other programms ? And why the host discover dont find anything ? Normally it should work even if the ports are closed right ? Or did i miss understood something ? And will the connection between two different computers work, when im using open ports ?

chris Moeller

Apr 23, 2016, 5:54:39 PM4/23/16
to kryone...@googlegroups.com
I was never able to get discover to work. But yes, if you're on the same LAN, you don't have to open ports on your router(that's only for people connecting in from outside your LAN)- your software firewall may block it though (should usually prompt you when the other computer tries to connect).

So try connecting manually using the internal ip of the host and port you decided on, and make sure that works. Then see if you can get discovery working (I ended up just giving up on it, and showing the host it's most likely ip in game, so they could tell the other person what to connect to)

Lars Matthäus

Apr 26, 2016, 1:05:55 AM4/26/16
to kryone...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Very much, im gonna try that :) hopefully it Works! ^^

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "kryonet-users" group.