Rename and the secondary clipboard irritation

ToddAndMargo

Aug 23, 2020, 3:17:37 AM8/23/20
to krusader-users
Hi All,

Fedora 32, x64
Xfce 4.14
krusader-2.7.2-2.fc32.x86_64

Now this is an irritating feature of Krusader.

When I am programming, I will go into Krusader to
get the file name of some file. (I could type
it in manually, but I typo like crazy.) I go
into rename and copy the name into the
secondary clipboard (<ctrl><c>).

Now here is the irritation. If I close
the rename dialog, the file name get removed
from the clipboard and I paste the thing right
before it.

Would the developers consider fixing this please?

Many thanks,
-T

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computers are like air conditioners.

Rafael Social User

Aug 25, 2020, 6:14:05 AM8/25/20
to krusader-users
What's the secondary clipboard? I'm on OpenSUSE and there is only one clipboard when I use <Ctrl><C> even if I'm using "CopyQ" application.

Gengis Dave

Aug 27, 2020, 2:16:18 AM8/27/20
to krusader-users, 'ToddAndMargo' via krusader-users
On domenica 23 agosto 2020 09:17:29 CEST 'ToddAndMargo' via krusader-users wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Fedora 32, x64
> Xfce 4.14
> krusader-2.7.2-2.fc32.x86_64
>
> Now this is an irritating feature of Krusader.
>
> When I am programming, I will go into Krusader to
> get the file name of some file. (I could type
> it in manually, but I typo like crazy.) I go
> into rename and copy the name into the
> secondary clipboard (<ctrl><c>).
>
> Now here is the irritation. If I close
> the rename dialog, the file name get removed
> from the clipboard and I paste the thing right
> before it.
>
> Would the developers consider fixing this please?

Hi Todd,

I will test it on a WM, meanwhile, can you test with the Location Bar?
It also has a QLineEdit, you can activate with CTRL+L (default), copy the text
and exit with Return or Esc. Does the copied text is present in the clipboard.

Whit a rapid search on the web I've seen this is a problem related to clipboard
managers (I use Klipper an this not happens).

Thanks
Davide

Toni Asensi Esteve

Sep 6, 2020, 6:44:10 PM9/6/20
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

Todd wrote:

> When I am programming, I will go into Krusader to

> get the file name of some file. (I could type

> it in manually, but I typo like crazy.) I go

> into rename and copy the name into the

> secondary clipboard (<ctrl><c>).

> Now here is the irritation. If I close

> the rename dialog, the file name get removed

> from the clipboard and I paste the thing right

> before it.

I've tried it under Kubuntu 20.04 (having Klipper being executed) and the problem didn't happen (F2, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V worked as it was expected).

ToddAndMargo

Sep 8, 2020, 1:54:34 AM9/8/20
On 2020-08-25 03:14, Rafael Social User wrote:
> What's the secondary clipboard? I'm on OpenSUSE and there is only one
> clipboard when I use <Ctrl><C> even if I'm using "CopyQ" application.
>
> El domingo, 23 de agosto de 2020 a las 9:17:37 UTC+2, toddandmargo escribió:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Fedora 32, x64
> Xfce 4.14
> krusader-2.7.2-2.fc32.x86_64
>
> Now this is an irritating feature of Krusader.
>
> When I am programming, I will go into Krusader to
> get the file name of some file. (I could type
> it in manually, but I typo like crazy.) I go
> into rename and copy the name into the
> secondary clipboard (<ctrl><c>).
>
> Now here is the irritation. If I close
> the rename dialog, the file name get removed
> from the clipboard and I paste the thing right
> before it.
>
> Would the developers consider fixing this please?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi Rafael,

Linux has four clipboards. This video will
help describe them

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl/Secondary-Selection.mp4

The two most common are:
PrimaryClipboard:
Mouse over, Center click
and
SecondaryClipboard:

man xclip
-selection
specify which X selection to use, options
are "primary" to use XA_PRIMARY (default),
"secondary" for XA_SECONDARY or "clip‐
board" for XA_CLIPBOARD

I use the primary clipboard like crazy.

-T

-T

ToddAndMargo

Sep 8, 2020, 1:55:27 AM9/8/20
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
I only have a problem after I close the rename dialog.

ToddAndMargo

Sep 8, 2020, 2:00:04 AM9/8/20
On 2020-08-26 23:15, Gengis Dave wrote:
> On domenica 23 agosto 2020 09:17:29 CEST 'ToddAndMargo' via krusader-users wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Fedora 32, x64
>> Xfce 4.14
>> krusader-2.7.2-2.fc32.x86_64
>>
>> Now this is an irritating feature of Krusader.
>>
>> When I am programming, I will go into Krusader to
>> get the file name of some file. (I could type
>> it in manually, but I typo like crazy.) I go
>> into rename and copy the name into the
>> secondary clipboard (<ctrl><c>).
>>
>> Now here is the irritation. If I close
>> the rename dialog, the file name get removed
>> from the clipboard and I paste the thing right
>> before it.
>>
>> Would the developers consider fixing this please?
>
> Hi Todd,
>
> I will test it on a WM, meanwhile, can you test with the Location Bar?
> It also has a QLineEdit, you can activate with CTRL+L (default), copy the text
> and exit with Return or Esc. Does the copied text is present in the clipboard.

Yes, it is present in the secondary clipboard and I can
paste it anywhere

I am primarily in Geany (where I program) when this
happens. And it is not 100% repeatable. I mainly
happens when it will be the most annoying.It is like it is conspiring
against me.
> Whit a rapid search on the web I've seen this is a problem related to clipboard
> managers (I use Klipper an this not happens).
>
> Thanks
> Davide

Rafael Social User

Sep 9, 2020, 3:26:53 PM9/9/20
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
I don't know why I didn't see your video link before. Now that I realized your explanation, I understand what you were talking about.
I'm a Plasma user and usually write with Kate. Kate doesn't have that (useful) function. I think that function is available only on gedit or Gnome environment. That's why I was not able to interpret your question.

Thank you for your explanation and I'm sorry can't help cause not an Gnome/Gedit user.

;)