Root mode Krusader

John Bennett

Jul 17, 2020, 2:43:38 AM7/17/20
to krusader-users
Anyone tell me how to get root mode working in Krusader.
Have setup, and can log in, and get the window up with "Krusader - ROOT PRIVILEGES" in the header, and can see all files etc, but clicking on them does nothing.....
Anyone have it working?
Thanks.

Yuri Chornoivan

Jul 17, 2020, 3:00:36 AM7/17/20
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
пт, 17 лип. 2020 о 09:43 John Bennett <horne...@gmail.com> пише:
Hi,

It would be easier if you give some additional info.

It works here (Mageia 7, KDE Plasma, self-compiled Krusader from git, but should work with the default one). Krusader-root can be started with "su -c krusader" from Konsole. Krusader-root works as expected (can copy and move files, can save edited files).

What do you expect from "clicking on files"?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best regards,
Yuri

John Bennett

Jul 17, 2020, 8:25:17 AM7/17/20
to krusader-users
 OK... Have it 'limping' but not working well. Possibly because it is a KDE product? (
UbuntuDDE (ie 20.04 - Desktop DDE - Deepin??) fully updated. Open Krusader, click Tools>Start Root Mode Krusader and get: (Attached PIC, with lots of x'ssss). Double-clicking does nothing... Right-clicking results in a menu, with lots of options with red x'ssss.... and clicking most of those options, results in mostly... nothing.... Sometimes can Open With, but most options don't work.
What else can I tell you?
Never mind, have found an alternative.

DeepinScreenshot_20200717215443.png

Thanks.

Toni Asensi Esteve

Jul 18, 2020, 12:22:37 PM7/18/20
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

Hello!

> (Attached PIC, with lots of x'ssss).

What does it happen if you execute (using your normal user —not root— account):

sudo apt install breeze-icon-theme ktexteditor-katepart kde-cli-tools kio-extras

$(kf5-config --path libexec)kf5/kdesu -c KDE_FULL_SESSION=true krusader

John Bennett

Jul 19, 2020, 12:09:58 AM7/19/20
to krusader-users
Don't really understand what I am supposed to run here??
Yes, have those packages installed, but what is the following command? And will it bugger up my existing icons/fonts?
As after I installed the breeze icons, have lost some of my system icons, and some of the test has disappeared (ie help bubble with text still appear, but 'seem' to be empty....)
Thanks.
(Am running UbuntuDDE)

Toni Asensi Esteve

Jul 19, 2020, 3:17:08 AM7/19/20
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

> > Hello!

> > > (Attached PIC, with lots of x'ssss).

> > What does it happen if you execute (using your normal user —not root—

> > account):

> > sudo apt install breeze-icon-theme ktexteditor-katepart kde-cli-tools

> > kio-extras

> > $(kf5-config --path libexec)kf5/kdesu -c KDE_FULL_SESSION=true krusader

> Don't really understand what I am supposed to run here??

> Yes, have those packages installed, but what is the following command? And

> will it bugger up my existing icons/fonts?

> As after I installed the breeze icons, have lost some of my system icons,

> and some of the test has disappeared (ie help bubble with text still

> appear, but 'seem' to be empty....)

> Thanks.

> (Am running UbuntuDDE)

Hi, the

$(kf5-config --path libexec)kf5/kdesu -c KDE_FULL_SESSION=true krusader

command is executed in the command line, using your normal user —not root—

account. It's executed "as it is". It uses the `kdesu` program in order to avoid problems like the ones described there:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/539494/how-to-force-krusader-to-use-ubuntus-file-associations/835963#835963

caused because a file from a normal user is owned by the root user, due to the way that a graphical program (in this case Krusader) was executed.

The aforementioned commands work using Kubuntu 20.04 and Ubuntu 20.04, if you find problems using UbuntuDDE 20.04, you can undo steps (starting by executing `sudo apt remove breeze-icon-theme` in order to remove that package) and reboot.

Best regards.

John Bennett

Jul 20, 2020, 6:09:43 AM7/20/20
to krusader-users
Not sure what happened, but...
Couldn't get my icons/fonts to play the game properly in my original UbuntuDDE. Tried all things, tried new user setups, etc, then decided the easiest fix was a new install of the OS.... (After all, had only just installed...)
New install, and..... perfect! Basically did very similar to what I did originally (must have been a difference, somewhere), and when I installed Krusader, all seems to be working fine! Icons and fonts are all good.
Thanks.