Krusader Newsletter: Volume 4, Number 2, 29 may 2008

Frank Schoolmeesters

May 28, 2008, 2:54:25 PM5/28/08
to krusad...@googlegroups.com

Krusader Newsletter, 28 may 2008

http://krusader.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2103

(c) 2005-2008 by The Krusader Krew, All Rights Reserved

Welcome to the second Krusader Newsletter of 2008 with news, views and
information about recent
developments and ongoing issues in the Krusader project. Our aim is to
inform of recent developments,
give a preview of upcoming features and to give our loyal users a
direct line to the Krusader Krew.

Krusader 1.90.0 "Power Stone" released

Krusader 1.90.0 was the final release [1] for the KDE3 series. The
higlights are many useractions,
serveral bugfixes, compatiblity from KDE3.2 to KDE3.9 and GCC 4.3
compatibility.
No further changes are planned since we put all our efforts now on the
Krusader 2.0.0-beta1 release for KDE4.
Thanks everyone in all the years who has contributed to this project!

1. http://krusader.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2061

The Krew is growing
***********************
We'd like to welcome our newest krew member Vaclav Juza [2].
He is already a few years around with contributing patches and
offering general help,
now he has joined officially our team. Welcome!

2. http://krusader.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2083

CVS is closed down in favor of SVN
The KDE3 branch is been merged into Subversion and the CVS service is
been closed [3].
People who like to download the KDE3 branch need to use from now the
Subverion command

$ svn co http://krusader.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/krusader/trunk/krusader_kde3

With the above command you will download the sourcecode of
Krusader-1.90.0 + some minor changes.
We don't expect that new code will be committed.

3. http://krusader.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2094

Krusader-2.x for KDE4
**************************
Krusader-2.x works better and better on KDE4.0 ! We put all our
efforts now on the
Krusader 2.0.0-beta1 "Phoenix Egg" release for KDE4. A screenshot can
be downloaded [4],
it's made on Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 4 Remix) and shows that we have left
the third stone towards the fourth stone.

Most of the qt3/kde3 code is removed now and replaced into pure kde4/qt4 code.
Thanks to everyone who contributes at this port! If you like, you can
follow the developments at our
devel-mailinglist [5] and on the krusader-commits mailinglist [5].

Compiling Krusader is not so difficult, more detailed instructions can
be found in the INSTALL file [6].

Quickstart tutorial
- Install a KDE4 distribution
- check out the latest Krusader 2.x for KDE 4 from SVN use:

$ svn co https://krusader.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/krusader/trunk/krusader_kde4

- install the packages needed for compilig from source (gcc, c
libraries, zlib1g-dev, kdelibs5, libkjsembed1)
- compile the sourcecode

$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ -DQT_INCLUDES=/usr/share/qt4/include
$ make
$ su -c "make install"

4. http://groups.google.com/group/krusader-devel/browse_thread/thread/c5b67869d3a9039c
5. http://www.krusader.org/lists.php
6. http://krusader.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/krusader/trunk/krusader_kde4/INSTALL?view=markup

Krusader is availabe for Apple1
************************************
From now on Krusader is also available for Apple 1, enjoy ! [7]

7. http://school.anhb.uwa.edu.au/personalpages/kwessen/apple1/Krusader.htm

Krusader-1.90.0 distribution news
***************************************
Distrowatch.com reports that currently 11 distibutions provide
Krusader-1.90.0 [8].
Thanks! Be aware that distrowatch.com only checks the initial release
of a distro, so updates, backports or
external repositories are not always reported in this list.

8. http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=krusader&pkgver=1.90.0

- ALT Linux: Sisyphus
- Debian GNU/Linux: unstable, testing
- Frugalware Linux: 0.9-pre1
- Gentoo Linux: unstable, stable
- Lunar Linux: moonbase
- PCLinuxOS: apt
- sidux: 2008-01
- Source Mage GNU/Linux: grimoire, grimoire
- openSUSE: factory
- T2 SDE: snapshot
- Yoper Linux: 3.1-beta

Help and feedback
**********************
Here you get a chance to contribute to the Krusader project. Some
things need to be done, but can't be done by us.
Help, feedback, and contributions are always welcome. If you feel you
can help, please follow this link [9].
Thank you! If you have a topic for Krusader news, please contact Frank.
Your feedback on this newsletter and future newsletters will be appreciated.

9. http://krusader.org/phpBB/posting.php

Thanks for reading. If you have any ideas to improve Krusader, feel
free to let us know. We do it all, for you....

Kind regards,

Krusader Krew