Lock tabs but allow directory changes feature like Total Commander

BR4...@hotmail.com

Jan 13, 2018, 12:56:01 PM1/13/18
to krusader-devel
A useful feature that Total Commander has over Krusader is that the locked tabs will not create a new tab as soon as you enter a directory, like Krusader does. Every time I enter a folder inside a locked tab, it automatically opens it in another tab, so in the end I get stuck with many recent created tabs open. Is it possible to implement this? Thanks!

Simon Persson

Jan 18, 2018, 7:39:43 PM1/18/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com, BR4...@hotmail.com

On 2018-01-14 01:56, BR4...@hotmail.com wrote:

A useful feature that Total Commander has over Krusader is that the locked tabs will not create a new tab as soon as you enter a directory, like Krusader does. Every time I enter a folder inside a locked tab, it automatically opens it in another tab, so in the end I get stuck with many recent created tabs open. Is it possible to implement this? Thanks!

Just to clarify (I read your sentence 10 times before I started to understand, I think...) what you want is that a locked tab should have exactly 0 or 1 linked "child" tab in which to open any directory from the "parent" locked tab. When opening a directory from a locked tab this will happen: If no child tab exists then a new child tab will be created with the target path. If there already is one, that tab will be re-targeted. Closing the child tab will of course bring you back to 0 again and a new child tab will be created next time a directory is opened from the locked tab.

That sounded not too bad to me.. But then I started thinking that it would make sense to create that child tab on the other side (other panel). And that's of course when I realized that it is very similar to the existing feature of "ctrl+right" from the left panel, or "ctrl+left" from the right panel. Did you know about that feature of opening directories with ctrl and arrow buttons? Because it seems (to me...) like a better solution to what you are asking for. And since that feature exists then it makes more sense to keep the locked tab working the way they do now.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss!

Simon

Martin Kotelnik

Jan 18, 2018, 8:19:11 PM1/18/18
to krusader-devel
I didn't know about ctrl+right and ctrl+left, very handy! Thanks for that info.

Anyway, when I read the BR4TO92's message I thought that he/she means just pinned tabs (browser-like). You cannot easily close them but can change their path freely. But I'm also not sure if that was the actual suggestion :).

BR4...@hotmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 4:23:30 PM1/19/18
to krusader-devel
Just to clarify what I really want, so it won't be room for interpretations: I want to have just the locked tabs at any given time in every panel. This means that a child directory should be open in the same parent tab. That's the feature. In Total Commander this is an option that can be activated or not, via right-click menu in any tab. I saw the ctrl + right/left arrow shortcut, but it actually opens the child tab on the other panel.

vollkornk...@posteo.de

Jan 26, 2018, 10:08:19 AM1/26/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

I would also really like to see that feature implemented. With Total Commander I use it quite a lot. I have several project directories pinned in a tab each. I can change the directory in this tab, but when I leave the tab and return it "snaps back" to the pinned base dir. So I always have quick jumps to all actual projects without cluttering my tab bar with too much child tabs.

Cheers,
Micha.

https://vollkornkartoffeln.de

A. Bikadorov

Feb 3, 2018, 6:45:28 AM2/3/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
I'm still not sure I understand it correctly. Are you taking about the "Locked, but
directory changes allowed" feature in Total Commander? Just found it by Google, no Windows
installation here, so I can only assume it means to set the root of a tab to a specific
directory and you can only browse to sub-directories of this dir.

Cheers
Ales

BR4...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2018, 9:22:10 AM2/3/18
to krusader-devel
Yes, it's exactly that feature from Total Commander as you said, you can browse to sub-directories from a tab without creating another tab. In Total Commander with this feature enabled you can also get back without creating another directories.

Martin Kotelnik

Feb 3, 2018, 11:16:42 AM2/3/18
to krusader-devel
I have an access to windows virtual where I could test the mentioned setting in Total Commander. I'd describe it like this:

Inside locked tab with allowed directory changes:
- you can change the directory as you please (you can change address without limitations, different protocols...)
- if you activate another tab at the same side and activate the locked one again, it will return to the locked address
- title of the tab stays across directory changes to indicate the locked state

So everything works almost exactly as in pinned tab in browser. The only difference is that when you return to the tab, it will set itself back to "home" address of the locked tab.

@BR4TO92: please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like a useful feature. I can look into it, if there are no objections, or anybody else wouldn't like to do that :).

BR4...@hotmail.com

Feb 3, 2018, 3:10:49 PM2/3/18
to krusader-devel
Thanks for testing by yourself! It works exactly as you described. I think it's a very useful feature, if Krusader is your daily file manager, as it is for me.

BR4...@hotmail.com

Feb 25, 2018, 5:50:10 AM2/25/18
to krusader-devel
Any news guys? Will this feature be implemented? Thanks!

Yuri Chornoivan

Feb 25, 2018, 5:59:38 AM2/25/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Any news guys? Will this feature be implemented? Thanks!

Hi!

Please see this RR on Phabricator:

Best regards,
Yuri

BR4...@hotmail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 1:01:21 PM2/26/18
to krusader-devel
That's awesome! I can see that some work has been made. How will we know when the final release is done? Thanks!

duminică, 25 februarie 2018, 12:59:38 UTC+2, yurchor a scris:

sâmbătă, 3 februarie 2018, 22:10:49 UTC+2, br4...@hotmail.com a scris:
Thanks for testing by yourself! It works exactly as you described. I think it's a very useful feature, if Krusader is your daily file manager, as it is for me.

sâmbătă, 3 februarie 2018, 18:16:42 UTC+2, Martin Kotelnik a scris:
I have an access to windows virtual where I could test the mentioned setting in Total Commander. I'd describe it like this:

Inside locked tab with allowed directory changes:
- you can change the directory as you please (you can change address without limitations, different protocols...)
- if you activate another tab at the same side and activate the locked one again, it will return to the locked address
- title of the tab stays across directory changes to indicate the locked state

So everything works almost exactly as in pinned tab in browser. The only difference is that when you return to the tab, it will set itself back to "home" address of the locked tab.

@BR4TO92: please correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems like a useful feature. I can look into it, if there are no objections, or anybody else wouldn't like to do that :).

Nikita Melnichenko

Feb 27, 2018, 1:37:08 AM2/27/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Once approved, we'll push the change into the master branch. You can compile from source and use it right away.

We are planning to release a stable version of Krusader soon — it will likely include this change. For this, you can follow krusader-users list.

BTW, we'd appreciate if you can help to test the feature. It's really easy in case you know how to compile Krusader from source:

https://phabricator.kde.org/D10307?download=true

Instructions on how to apply:
1. Save locally as D10307.diff.
2. cd into git clone directory of krusader, current master.
3. patch -Np1 < /path/to/D10307.diff

Best regards,
Nikita.

BR4...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2018, 11:49:04 AM2/27/18
to krusader-devel
I'm more than happy to test the feature. After all, I started the topic with this request. The steps above on how to apply are for compiling it from sources? Btw, my Krusader version is from Ubuntu Software center, should i remove it to install the one with the feature?

Toni Asensi Esteve

Feb 27, 2018, 12:16:14 PM2/27/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

> I'm more than happy to test the feature. After all, I started the topic

> with this request. The steps above on how to apply are for compiling it

> from sources?

They are steps to follow after the "compile Krusader from source" instructions:

https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/INSTALL

> Btw, my Krusader version is from Ubuntu Software center,

> should i remove it to install the one with the feature?

It would be better :-)

Greetings!

BR4...@hotmail.com

Feb 27, 2018, 2:23:37 PM2/27/18
to krusader-devel
I don't really understand what i have to do in order to install it...
1. Should I delete my old version of krusader first?
2. If so, will i be able to backup my current settings & import them later on the newest version?
3. From which repo should I download krusader in order to build it?
4. How should I build it?
5. After applying that patch I will install it or aftter building it?
Thanks!

Toni Asensi Esteve

Feb 27, 2018, 4:31:30 PM2/27/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com

Hi!

> I don't really understand what i have to do in order to install it [...]

> Thanks!

> [...] will i be able to backup my current settings & import them later

> on the newest version?

Just in case, you can backup your

~/.local

~/.kde

~/.config

folders.

So your settings should be backed up.

> [...] Should I delete my old version of krusader first?

Yes, you can execute

sudo apt remove krusader # In this case we use "remove" instead of "purge"

You can follow the "compile Krusader from source" instructions:

https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/INSTALL

And you can tell us if everything worked correctly, then we can explain how to apply the patch that Nikita talked about.

Greetings!

BR4...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 2018, 2:03:58 PM3/1/18
to krusader-devel
 Krusader is developed in KDE Extragear. If someone wants to download and use
the latest available Krusader sourcecode with git:
$ git clone http://anongit.kde.org/krusader
I did that. Next step:
CMake can be executed this way:
$ mkdir krusader-build
$ cd krusader-build
$ cmake ../krusader -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC" -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
Here I get error at the last command...I'll attach the .log files plus the information from terminal. So please, help me.

CMakeError.log
CMakeOutput.log
cmake_terminal_information.txt

Toni Asensi Esteve

Mar 1, 2018, 2:28:34 PM3/1/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
> I did that. Next step:
Hi! The next step, since 2018-02-27
(https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/INSTALL), is:

In order to make sure that the present folder is the parent directory of the
"krusader" source code folder, this command can be executed:
ls krusader/krusader
and it should answer something like:
abstractpanelmanager.h Dialogs kicons.h KrJS
krusaderlisterui.rc
[...]
then CMake can be executed this way:

BR4...@hotmail.com

Mar 3, 2018, 7:30:07 AM3/3/18
to krusader-devel
I already have these files...
Screenshot from 2018-03-03 14-25-16.png

Toni Asensi Esteve

Mar 3, 2018, 12:57:43 PM3/3/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

> I already have these files...

Well, the idea is that CMake won't work correctly if it's not executed from
that folder (the parent directory of the "krusader" source code folder). If
you execute that CMake command:
cmake ../krusader -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
from that folder, what's its answer :-?

Greetings!

BR4...@hotmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 8:11:42 AM3/11/18
to krusader-devel
Here is the output:
br4to92@br4to92-laptop:/mnt/DATA/Downloads/krusader$ cmake ../krusader -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:12 (find_package):
  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "ECM" (requested
  version 1.7.0) with any of the following names:
    ECMConfig.cmake
    ecm-config.cmake
  Add the installation prefix of "ECM" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set "ECM_DIR"
  to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "ECM" provides a
  separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been installed.

See also "/mnt/DATA/Downloads/krusader/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
br4to92@br4to92-laptop:/mnt/DATA/Downloads/krusader$
CMakeOutput.log

Yuri Chornoivan

Mar 11, 2018, 8:23:00 AM3/11/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Please install extra-cmake-modules package:

sudo apt-get install extra-cmake-modules

Best regards,
Yuri

sâmbătă, 3 martie 2018, 19:57:43 UTC+2, Toni Asensi Esteve a scris:
Hi!

> I already have these files...

Well, the idea is that CMake won't work correctly if it's not executed from
that folder (the parent directory of the "krusader" source code folder). If
you execute that CMake command:
    cmake ../krusader -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/ -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
-DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-O2 -fPIC"
from that folder, what's its answer :-?

Greetings!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

BR4...@hotmail.com

Mar 11, 2018, 12:43:41 PM3/11/18
to krusader-devel
I finally managed to compile & install krusader as the last instruction said (https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/INSTALL - $ sudo su -c "make install"). Now i have krusader installed. However, the next step, as Toni Asense Esteve said, was to apply that patch: after running the command patch -Np1 < /path/to/D10307.diff in the krusader root folder, i have errors.

Yuri Chornoivan

Mar 11, 2018, 1:01:11 PM3/11/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
I finally managed to compile & install krusader as the last instruction said (https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/INSTALL - $ sudo su -c "make install"). Now i have krusader installed. However, the next step, as Toni Asense Esteve said, was to apply that patch: after running the command patch -Np1 < /path/to/D10307.diff in the krusader root folder, i have errors.

Sure. The code has changed (patch has already been applied). You don't have to apply it once more:

Just use:

git reset --hard
git pull --rebase

in the source code folder then compile, install and enjoy the results. ;)

Your review is still welcome.

Best regards,
Yuri

marți, 27 februarie 2018, 23:31:30 UTC+2, Toni Asensi Esteve a scris:

Hi!

> I don't really understand what i have to do in order to install it [...]

> Thanks!

> [...] will i be able to backup my current settings & import them later

> on the newest version?

Just in case, you can backup your

~/.local

~/.kde

~/.config

folders.

So your settings should be backed up.

> [...] Should I delete my old version of krusader first?

Yes, you can execute

sudo apt remove krusader # In this case we use "remove" instead of "purge"

You can follow the "compile Krusader from source" instructions:

https://cgit.kde.org/krusader.git/tree/INSTALL

And you can tell us if everything worked correctly, then we can explain how to apply the patch that Nikita talked about.

Greetings!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

vollkornk...@posteo.de

Mar 8, 2022, 8:06:53 AM3/8/22
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

early in 2018 a suggestion was made to implement a "locked tabs" feature in Krusader like Total Commander has. Luckily, it was implemented and is now available as "Pin Tab".

But as I sit in Homeoffice more and more lately I miss a little functionality, that I guess should be easy to implement: To snap back to the pinned state on click onto the tab. Use case: I'm working in my pinned tab, descending directory after directory. Now I want to "reset" the tab to its pinned state. In Total Commander you can do this by simply clicking on the tab again, in Krusader I need to click another tab, then click my pinned tab again – this will force it back to its pinned state.

I guess this would be relatively easy to implement since this functionality is already there – if another tab is active, and I click the pinned tab, it will reset. The same just needs to be added if the pinned tab is already active.

Thanks for all the awesome work, best regards,