Start to contribute

Miroslav Chabrecek

Oct 3, 2018, 8:10:32 AM10/3/18
to krusader-devel
Hi All,

I would like to start to contribute to Krusader project.
First, I have few process questions:
Should I work only on tasks, which are at Phabricator workboard or I can take any from open bugs?
How I know that someone else in not working on the same problem? Is there some way how to assign the task?
For example, I would like to start on clean up task: replacing all connect() lines with the new signal/slot syntax in Qt5.

How do you test the regression ?
Do you use some IRC channel for communication?

Thank you for helping,
Miro

A. Bikadorov

Oct 4, 2018, 12:17:26 PM10/4/18
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
On 10/3/18 2:10 PM, Miroslav Chabrecek wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi Miro!

> I would like to start to contribute to Krusader project.
> First, I have few process questions:
> Should I work only on tasks, which are at Phabricator workboard or I can take any from
> open bugs?

You can work on anything you want: Bugs or feature requests listed on Bugzilla, tasks on
the Phabricator workboard, or your own desired improvements.

The workboard is not much used and more for bigger and maintenance tasks and as reminder.

> How I know that someone else in not working on the same problem? Is there some way how to
> assign the task?

You can assign yourself to the tasks/bugs on Phabricator/Bugzilla (if you have permission
to do that) or simply write a comment.

Because there is right now not much development progress it is unlikely that two people
will work on the same task, anyways.

> For example, I would like to start on clean up task: replacing all connect() lines with
> the new signal/slot syntax in Qt5.

Good one! But seems to be more of a laborious task. If there is a way to automatically do
that, I would really like to know that.

> How do you test the regression ?

You mean bugfixes? All our major code changes go through Phabricator as Differential.
Somebody else will review the code and probably also test the fix.

> Do you use some IRC channel for communication?

No, I guess this mailing-list is the best way. But, as i mentioned, all o=
f us 'older' devs
don't have much time, so it could take some while until someone replies.

> Thank you for helping,
> Miro

Already thanks for your future work. You also may wanna checkout the wikipage with some
information: https://phabricator.kde.org/w/krusader/

Cheers
Alex

signature.asc