Plugin headache + bug hunt + release

Gengis Dave

Aug 23, 2021, 2:28:50 PMAug 23
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

it seems I have a bad timing to resume to develop Krusader (or the opposite, who knows...).

First point: there are some troubles with all the plugin system, I've done some investigation and it shouldn't be hard to fix, but it will require many testing on different distros. Also, I'm fixing all the deprecations introduced in the last releases of KF5.

Second point: I propose to do another run on bugzilla to close all the oldest bugs that are not referring to a 2.7.x version.

Third point: fixing the plugin could be a good opportunity to the 2.8.0 release. I have just one MR open and no other big changes (some bugs could be closed, though).

Opinion? I don't have a straight plan, consider this mail as a "call to arms".

Thanks all.
Davide

Toni Asensi Esteve

Aug 23, 2021, 7:00:19 PMAug 23
Davide wrote:

> [...]
> Opinion? I don't have a straight plan, consider this mail as
> a "call to arms".

My opinion is that in the present situation those points look very good to me.

Greetings!
Toni

Nikita Melnichenko

Aug 24, 2021, 3:01:15 AMAug 24
to krusade...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Thanks Davide for bringing this up. I think the 2.8.0 release is long
waited by many people. We have many issues fixed on the master branch,
however lots of users are hesitant to compile from sources, and we see
many bugs are closed as dups these days. BTW, thanks Davide and Toni for
being active with regards to bug reports!

I agree with all points, however I don't have much spare time to
actively collaborate on this effort. I can help with the release when
the time comes and sweeping the bugs a little.

As for the plan, what you propose already looks like a good plan to me. ;)

Nikita.

Gengis Dave

Sep 21, 2021, 2:24:22 AMSep 21
On martedì 24 agosto 2021 09:01:12 CEST Nikita Melnichenko wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanks Davide for bringing this up. I think the 2.8.0 release is long
> waited by many people. We have many issues fixed on the master branch,
> however lots of users are hesitant to compile from sources, and we see
> many bugs are closed as dups these days. BTW, thanks Davide and Toni for
> being active with regards to bug reports!

Starting from the third step: should we raise the minimal requirements for the
next release?

ATM, I'm checking repology.org to get the distros' status. My idea is to "ignore"
the distros that does not ship 2.7.2 (2.7.x is fine too).

Direct example (with a used distro): Ubuntu 18.04 ships Qt 5.9.5 and Frameworks
5.44 but it does use Krusader 2.6.0; unless the packagers won't raise the build,
I would ignore it. This is almost similar to when we dropped the KDE4 Krusader
version.

---
This is my personal opinion, I use a rolling release / bleeding edge distro since
ten years and the number of regressions is low. While I can understand that
upgrading a distro could be difficult for some users, I don't understand why
packages are not updated in non-LTS distros.
---

Back again, I propose to raise to the Ubuntu 20.04 versions: Qt 5.12 and KF5 5.68;
this should covers all other active distros.

Davide

Toni Asensi Esteve

Sep 23, 2021, 5:25:03 PMSep 23
Davide wrote:

> Starting from the third step: should we raise the minimal requirements for
> the next release?

> [...] I propose to raise to the Ubuntu 20.04 versions: Qt 5.12 and KF5 5.68;
> this should cover all other active distros.

I suppose that's better that way, thanks for proposing it.

Note: On
https://launchpad.net/~rikmills/+archive/ubuntu/experimental/+packages it's
seen that the git version of Krusader is still compiled for people who want to
use it under (K)Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and other ones. In the end I could email Rik
Mills (the PPA is maintained by him) and tell him that the minimal
requirements have been raised.

Best regards,
Toni