Mr. Hoder Obituary

m...@sewnfolkart.com

Jun 23, 2005, 9:21:39 AM6/23/05
to Krieg...@googlegroups.com
Remember Mr. Hoder from PHS? (What does it say about me that I read the
Poughkeepsie Journal obituaries, online, pretty much every day?)

Edward L. Hoder
CITY OF POUGHKEEPSIE - Edward L. Hoder, 80, a former resident of
Spackenkill, and more recently the City of Poughkeepsie, died on June
20, 2005 at Vassar Brothers Medical center. Ed Hoder was born on Dec.
17, 1924 in New York City. He was the eldest son of Joseph Hoder and
Ann Guttler, both of whom immigrated to the United States from
Czechoslovakia. Ed was educated in Pawling, NY. He first attended SUNY
New Paltz then graduated from Hobart College in Geneva, NY. He received
a M.Ed. at the State Teachers College in Albany. He continued graduate
work at Hofstra, New York University and Columbia University. He served
in the US Navy in World War II with the rank of Ensign and stayed in
the Naval Reserves until 1955. He taught mathematics initially at
Catskill High School and later at Poughkeepsie High School. He then
served as administrator at Poughkeepsie High School during the
turbulent 60's and 70's. He was predeceased by his wife of 50 years,
Bette Hoder, in November 1999. He is survived by his daughter and
son-in-law, Susan and Richard Mitchell, Poughkeepsie and his son and
daughter-in-law, Dr. Edward Lawrenec Hoder and Dr. Harriet Bering,
Lexington, MA as well as six grandchildren, Dr. Lindsay Mitchell Madom,
Providence, RI; Brian Wittman Mitchell, Millbrook; Courtney Alexander
Mitchell, Poughkeepsie; Harriet Aldrich Hoder, Alexander Bering Hoder
and Christopher Wilson Hoder, all of the Boston area; and two brothers,
William Hoder, Cromwell, CT and Joseph Hoder, Park Ridge, NJ. Calling
hours are Sat. June 25, 2005 from 12:00 noon until 1:00pm at the
William G. Miller and Son Funeral Home, Inc., Poughkeepsie. Services
will follow at 1:00pm in the funeral home. Burial will be in the family
plot in Calvary Cemetery with Military Honors. Memorial donations may
be made to Hospice Foundation, 374 Violet Ave., Poughkeepsie, NY 12601.

Michael Fine

Jun 23, 2005, 9:50:30 AM6/23/05
to Krieg...@googlegroups.com
Poor man. I made his life miserable though I lived in terror of hearing him
walking through the hallways, always recognizable by the sound of his keys
which he would toss and catch as he walked. I knew he was coming to pull
me from Mr Giametti's math class for some infraction!

Morna, were you at the reunion dinner? How did I miss you?

Morna Crites-Moore

Jun 27, 2005, 9:12:16 AM6/27/05
to Krieg...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Michael, no I didn't make it to the reunion - I came close, but no.
Sorry I missed seeing you and others.