New release: Kotti 1.3.1

Andreas Kaiser

Jan 18, 2018, 3:34:23 AM1/18/18
to Kotti

Hi all,

Kotti 1.3.1 was released yesterday.

The list of changes is negligible [1].

But here's the real news: the release of Kotti 2.0.0 is imminent. There will be nothing new in 2.0.0, except Python >= 3.5 compatibility. All tests pass on Python 3.5 as well as 3.6 on all supported databases on the py3 branch [2].

I'll update the docs and cleanup the git history in the next couple of days, then I'll create a maintenance/1.3 brach from master and merge the py3 branch into master. At that point the only blocker for a 2.0.0 release will be a pending pull request / new release for deform [3].

The API will remain almost completely unchanged, so that existing applications should continue to work on the new version with little to no changes at all – if their code is Python 3 compatible, because 2.0.0 will be Python 3 only.

If your application depends on Python 2 compatibility you'll have 3 options:

  1. stay on 1.3.x. It's rock solid and will just continue to work.

  2. re-add Python 2 compatibility yourself, or

  3. pay someone to re-add Python 2 compatibility.

The 2.x line of Kotti will see some reimplementations of internals, probably also some API changes, but of course always with proper deprecation. Some existing features might be outfactored into add-ons to make Kotti itself more suitable for other types of applications use cases where some of its more heavyweight feature are not needed.

Cheers,

Andreas

[1] https://github.com/Kotti/Kotti/blob/master/CHANGES.txt
[2] https://github.com/Kotti/Kotti/pull/550
[3] https://github.com/Pylons/deform/pull/360

davide moro

Jan 18, 2018, 4:16:51 AM1/18/18
to ko...@googlegroups.com
Great!

Thanks Andreas,

davide

FFFFFFFab

Jan 18, 2018, 3:06:03 PM1/18/18
to Kotti
Thanks!
Kotti rocks :-)

Nick Larsen

Feb 16, 2018, 3:25:04 PM2/16/18
to Kotti
Thanks Andreas,
I was looking for a Pyramid CMS and found many were dead.  Glad to see Kotti is still active and many of the features look promising for my new project.
Nick L