Diary up by Richard Lyons

Rob Thorne

Jul 9, 2009, 4:55:34 PM7/9/09
to kos-fix-c...@googlegroups.com
Richard Lyons, who's done some good diaries in the past, has a new diary
up on Kos:

Arnold's Search For A California 911
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/9/751716/-Arnolds-Search-For-A-California-911

Related to the list as a whole: a quick poll of opinion. The initial
policies I set up for this list are similar to those of the Kos Health
Care list, which are fairly tight. The Health Care list needs this,
since industry lobbyists are actually a problem: AHIP and others very
likely employs professional PR people both to monitor and cause trouble
with health care activists. Sheldon Rampton and John Stauber of the
Center For Media Democracy have been documenting this kind of activity
for years, and where big money interests are involved, it really does
look like the old union (and headbusting) activities of the Pinkertons.

We probably don't have that kind of a concentrated Pinkerton operation
doing the same with California politics, so there's less reason to worry
about security (although I think people would like the list of email
addresses well protected). And there are advantages to getting the list
big enough to affect diary rankings as soon as we can.

So what do people think? How open should a list like this be, and how
should we spread the word about it?

Thanks,
Rob

Deirdre Des Jardins

Jul 10, 2009, 12:21:03 AM7/10/09
to kos-fix-c...@googlegroups.com

I'd say more open is better. We need to get to a critical mass of
recommenders to make much difference. I can spread the word to some of the
more active email lists about the group.

On another note, the twitter hashtag #cabudget has been a pretty good line
of communication with some key reporters covering the California budget
meltdown, including Judy Lin (AP), Shane Goldmacher (LA Times), and Kevin
Yamamura (Sacramento Bee.) I've been occasionally replying with pertinent
bits of info that undermine the Governor.

The California Republican party has noticed my efforts, and now I'm not
being followed by Ron Nehring, the state party chair, and Tony Krajvik, the
Finance Director.

So far I'm just ignoring it, but it does mean that they see everything I
tweet the moment I tweet it.

Deirdre

R L Miller

Jul 10, 2009, 2:16:29 AM7/10/09