Press Release: Rizal Unveiling posponed to June 2019

mogado mogado

Sep 22, 2018, 11:42:21 AM9/22/18

Markham Rizal Unveiling Postponed to June 2019.

Due to unforeseen circumstances pertaining to the site preparations, work on the Dr. Jose Rizal Monument in Markham will be delayed. As a result, the unveiling will be moved from October 13, 2018 to June 9, 2019.

The Rizal Project Committee decided on the postponement after being appraised of the situation. Apparently, it has to do with stabilizing the soil, and working around the gas line in the area. "We would rather have a nice grand and meaningful celebration in summery June in conjunction with our Independence Day than a half-baked unveiling this October," said Councillor Alex Chiu, a bit disappointed but otherwise pleased with the turn of events.

Councillor Chiu who personally handled all the fund-raising efforts for the Filipino Canadian community's side of the project had wished the unveiling of his pet project would be a fitting act to crown his retirement from politics. The Rizal monument and its surrounding Luneta Gardens is a partnership project between the City of Markham and the local Filipino Canadian community, with the latter donating the monument to celebrate the occasion of Canada's 150th Birthday, and the former sprucing up the site section of the park.

While he ends his political career on a high note, being the longest-serving continuously elected public servant on record in Markham with 33 years of service, with a long string of significant accomplishments, still for Councillor Chiu, he considers the Rizal project as his greatest and most challenging of all.

"Now there is more time to do everything properly. I know the community is anxiously anticipating, but like me, let that excitement extend to June 9, 2019, our day of fulfillment," Councillor Chiu added.

Contact:

Mogi Mogado email: mog...@sympatico.ca

Terry Gallagher

Sep 22, 2018, 11:55:36 AM9/22/18
to kor-...@googlegroups.com

I still hope to be part of the event Mogi and I would like to have Councillor Chiu’s e-mail and home address from you if possible so I could write and thank him personally for all he has done for Markham and for the Filipino community integrating into the Canadian scene and the Scarboro and Markham scene so effectively!! terryg

Dr. Chito Collantes

Sep 24, 2018, 10:41:09 PM9/24/18
to kor-...@googlegroups.com
i will update everyone for this change of date. dr chito collantes