Data error checking

Karl-Johan Norén

Apr 3, 2014, 10:24:31 AM4/3/14
to konop...@googlegroups.com
Right now, KonOpas has no real error checking for the data integrity, and
I think having such an utility would be worthwhile, especially if one
uses a spreadsheet as the backend (like I do).

Some examples of errors that should be relatively easy to detect:

* Dates and times are correctly formed
* No duplicate IDs

Slightly more convoluted:

* Check that the programme items and the people are properly cross-referenced
* Check validity of image links

Where to put this is another question. Right in the CSV-parsers is one option,
or make it into a separate utility.

--
Karl-Johan Norén karl-...@norensoversattningar.se
Noréns översättningar http://www.norensoversattningar.se

Eemeli Aro

May 20, 2014, 8:53:24 AM5/20/14
to konop...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay in addressing this; been a bit away from KonOpas
coding recently.

I added a GitHub issue for this: https://github.com/eemeli/konopas/issues/11

I agree that some error checking would be good. As the program &
participant data files are parsed as JavaScript, unfortunately many
errors will prevent it from loading properly, which doesn't
necessarily give much scope for pinpointing the source of the errors.
But some things could well be caught, like "id" being a number instead
of a string, or "loc" being a string instead of an array, or the error
types you mentioned.

I'd rather not add such error checking to the deployed version, but
with the current Makefile there are two build options for KonOpas,
"make dev" and "make prod". The first of those could be made to
include a data integrity scanner, as well as including it with the
online configurator: http://konopas.org/util/config

I'd also rather not add error checking to the CSV to JSON(P)
converter, as at least for now it's a very generic tool rather than
being highly KonOpas-specific.

In any case, thank you, belatedly, for the suggestion!

eemeli

On 3 April 2014 17:24, Karl-Johan Norén

Karl-Johan Norén

May 20, 2014, 9:10:05 AM5/20/14
to konop...@googlegroups.com
20 maj 2014 kl. 14:53 skrev Eemeli Aro <eem...@gmail.com>:

> Sorry for the delay in addressing this; been a bit away from KonOpas
> coding recently.

No worries, I imagine the next real update won't be until after or around
Loncon 3.

> I'd rather not add such error checking to the deployed version, but
> with the current Makefile there are two build options for KonOpas,
> "make dev" and "make prod". The first of those could be made to
> include a data integrity scanner, as well as including it with the
> online configurator: http://konopas.org/util/config

Agreed. In many ways, I think a separate utility would be best, since
there are several possible backends.

We used my localised fork of 0.5.0 at the Swedish Association of
Professional Translator's conference a few weeks ago, and we've included
questions on KonOpas in the evaluation. I will make sure to share the
answers here.

<http://konferens2014.sfoe.eu>

From what I've gathered, most people who used it were quite happy with
the tool, though we still had some people still using IE on XP where we
had to create PDF files.

Eemeli Aro

May 20, 2014, 12:16:25 PM5/20/14
to konop...@googlegroups.com
On 20 May 2014 16:10, Karl-Johan Norén
<karl-...@norensoversattningar.se> wrote:
> 20 maj 2014 kl. 14:53 skrev Eemeli Aro <eem...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Sorry for the delay in addressing this; been a bit away from KonOpas
>> coding recently.
>
> No worries, I imagine the next real update won't be until after or around
> Loncon 3.

If I have the time... For Loncon I'm also the Head of Hospitality, and
that's taking up plenty of my time. Might still find a few things to
tweak.

> We used my localised fork of 0.5.0 at the Swedish Association of
> Professional Translator's conference a few weeks ago, and we've included
> questions on KonOpas in the evaluation. I will make sure to share the
> answers here.
>
> <http://konferens2014.sfoe.eu>
>
> From what I've gathered, most people who used it were quite happy with
> the tool, though we still had some people still using IE on XP where we
> had to create PDF files.

Feedback is always very welcome! If you don't mind, I'd like to add
your conference to konopas.org; it's the first non-English one. :)

eemeli

Karl-Johan Norén

May 20, 2014, 12:26:02 PM5/20/14
to konop...@googlegroups.com
20 maj 2014 kl. 18:16 skrev Eemeli Aro <eem...@gmail.com>:

> Feedback is always very welcome! If you don't mind, I'd like to add
> your conference to konopas.org; it's the first non-English one. :)

Feel free to. The URL I gave is the permanent one, we plan to re-use m.sfoe.eu
for future conferences (my equivalent in the next year's conference was very
impressed with KonOpas, and is sitting down and trying to get a working
installation with my help).