KonOpas 0.5.0, with a central server

Eemeli Aro

Jan 4, 2014, 8:29:24 AM1/4/14
to konop...@googlegroups.com
Just before Christmas, I quietly released a new version of KonOpas:

https://github.com/eemeli/konopas/releases/tag/0.5.0

This release includes a number of relatively major updates; most
significantly, it integrates optional access to a central server that
I've been working on. So far, the server enables selection sync across
clients and browsers, voting and commenting on individual programme
items, and iCal export for connecting with external calendars. There
are a number of other updates as well, check out the changelog for an
overview.

The server is written using go, and it's built on top of Google's App
Engine framework. User accounts are not maintained internally; users
are instead authenticated using one of six OAuth2/OpenID providers.
Communication from the client to the server is via https query
parameters, and responses use JSONP.

I am not intending to release the server as open source. The client is
and will continue to be completely free and open, but using the server
and the features provided by it will not be free. To be clear, all of
the current and future features implemented purely in the client will
not depend on the server; server features are in addition to those.

I got some testing of the server done with Smofcon in early December,
but the real test is coming up in two weeks: Arisia. Assuming all goes
well there, I'm looking to open up a site at konopas.org with pricing
and other details.

A development instance of KonOpas using LoneStarCon data is available
at http://dev.konopas.org/ (note that it may break at any time while
I'm fiddling with it).

eemeli