Translation request for Kojo 2.9.24

Lalit Pant

Feb 13, 2023, 10:16:26 PM2/13/23
to kojo-dev
Dear Language Translators,

Please take a look at the history of Bundle.properties for new strings that need localization:
https://github.com/litan/kojo/commits/master/src/main/resources/net/kogics/kojo/lite/Bundle.properties

For quick reference, here are the strings (since my last request) that need translation:

UI Strings:
S_PulsatingLamp=Pulsating Lamp
S_PulsatingLamp2=Pulsating Lamp 2
S_DesertTree=Desert Tree
S_StoryTellerIntroP1=Run a story by loading/writing your story script within the 'Script Editor' and then clicking the 'Run' button.
S_StoryTellerIntroP2=You can control a running story via buttons that appear at the bottom of this pane.
S_StoryTellerIntroP3=Happy story telling!
S_Anagrams=Anagrams
S_UnitCircle=Unit Circle and Waves
S_DynamicSquare=Dynamic Square
S_Fireworks=Fireworks
S_Fireworks2=Fireworks 2

Non UI strings (for "advanced" localization; some are currently unused):
S_File_Format=File Format
S_Landscape=Landscape
S_Portrait=Portrait
S_Dimension=Dimension:
S_Dimension_Height=Height
S_Dimension_Width=Width
S_WorksheetPragma=worksheet
S_IncludePragma=include

Thanks and Regards,
- Lalit

Bjorn Regnell

Feb 16, 2023, 1:07:41 PM2/16/23
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
I have made translations below.

(It struck me that it might be confusing what these concepts really mean to a learner: "story", "scrip", "editor" "story teller", and "Story Teller" is a bit strange in Swedish in this context. I think I'd like to call it "Instructions" or similar instead of "Story Teller" . (But I guess that would be a big change...). Also it is not obvous that the Tools menu is actuallly where "Strories" live.

Anyway, here are my Swedish translations:

UI Strings:
S_PulsatingLamp=Pulserande lampa
S_PulsatingLamp2=Pulserande lampa 2
S_DesertTree=Ökenträd
S_StoryTellerIntroP1=Kör en berättelse genom att ladda/skriva program i Skripteditorn och klicka sedan på den gröna Kör-knappen.
S_StoryTellerIntroP2=Du kan styra en pågående berättelse via knapparna som framkommer i denna ruta.
S_StoryTellerIntroP3=Ha så kul!
S_Anagrams=Anagram
S_UnitCircle=Enhetscirkel och vågor
S_DynamicSquare=Dynamisk kvadrat
S_Fireworks=Fyrverkeri
S_Fireworks2=Fyrverkeri 2

Non UI strings (for "advanced" localization; some are currently unused):
S_File_Format=Filformat
S_Landscape=Liggande
S_Portrait=Stående
S_Dimension=Dimension:
S_Dimension_Height=Höjd
S_Dimension_Width=Bredd
S_WorksheetPragma=kalkylblad
S_IncludePragma=inkludera

Lalit Pant

Feb 16, 2023, 9:20:28 PM2/16/23
to Bjorn Regnell, kojo-dev
Thanks, Bjorn!

> Also it is not obvous that the Tools menu is actuallly where "Strories" live.
How do you mean (that Stories live under the Tools menu)?

Gentle reminder:
The storyteller pane is a window/pane where kids can tell stories with code (written in the script editor).  And it so happens that we (as teachers) have written a few stories and put them under the Tools and Help menus.

Here's a sample story:
---
val pageStyle = "color:black;background-color:#aaddFF; margin:15px;font-size:small;"
val centerStyle = "text-align:center;"

val pg1 = Page(
    name = "",
    body =
            <h3>Hello World</h3>
            Check out the square in the canvas.
    code = {
        clear()
        repeat(4) {
            forward(100)
            right(90)
        }
    }
)

val pg2 = Page(
    name = "",
    body =
            <h3>Moving on...</h3>
            Now let's look at a rectangle.
    code = {
        clear()
        repeat(2) {
            forward(50)
            right(90)
            forward(100)
            right(90)
        }
    }
)

val story = Story(pg1, pg2)
stClear()
stPlayStory(story)
---

Regards,
- Lalit

Massimo Maria Ghisalberti

Feb 17, 2023, 10:29:15 AM2/17/23
to kojo-dev
Hi everyone.
Emails happened to be in my spam folder and I just casualty saw now.
Translations on the fly.

UI Strings:
S_PulsatingLamp=Lampada pulsante
S_PulsatingLamp2=Lampada pulsante 2
S_DesertTree=Albero del deserto
S_StoryTellerIntroP1=Esegui una storia caricando o scrivendo il codice all'interno dell'"Editor del codice" e quindi facendo clic sul pulsante "Esegui".
S_StoryTellerIntroP2=Puoi controllare una storia in corso tramite i pulsanti visualizzati nella parte inferiore di questo riquadro.
S_StoryTellerIntroP3=Buona narrazione!
S_Anagrams=Anagrammi
S_UnitCircle=Unit Circle and Waves
S_DynamicSquare=Quadrato dinamico
S_Fireworks=Fuochi d'artificio
S_Fireworks2=Fuochi d'artificio 2

Non UI strings (for "advanced" localization; some are currently unused):
S_File_Format=Formato del file
S_Landscape=Paesaggio
S_Portrait=Ritratto
S_Dimension=Dimensione:
S_Dimension_Height=Altezza
S_Dimension_Width=Larghezza
S_WorksheetPragma=foglio di lavoro
S_IncludePragma=includi

Un poco di spam. :)
Ho messo di libero accesso "λ’Coding in draft".
qui il link alla premessa e quello per scaricarlo.
http://minimalprocedure.pragmas.org/writings/lambda_coding_readme/

I'm sorry for not being too much present, but times are what they are. :)

ciao

Massimo

Massimo Maria Ghisalberti

Feb 17, 2023, 10:50:44 AM2/17/23
to kojo-dev
Sorry in italian :)

Finally english...

Some spam. :)
I've put my ebook (pdf) "λ'Coding in draft" in open access.
Here the preamble link with the one to download it.
http://minimalprocedure.pragmas.org/writings/lambda_coding_readme/

Lalit Pant

Feb 17, 2023, 11:58:58 AM2/17/23
to Massimo Maria Ghisalberti, kojo-dev
Thank you, Massimo.
And all the best with your book!

Regards,
- Lalit

Bjorn Regnell

Feb 18, 2023, 7:22:32 AM2/18/23
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
First, I was thinking that the special contextual meaning here of the word "story" is maybe not very obvious to a learner, but as I understand it a "story" actually means "some code in a special DSL that generates html that is rendered in a special window i kojo" :) or perhaps it more simply means "code that will be a web page inside kojo". Anyway it is code. And "script" is also code. My point is that we have several similar concepts that are not really easy to grok for a beginner. I'm not sure what to do about this, as changing it might confuse existing users, ad maybe "Story" is the best word anyway, as "Html page" is too technical. Perhaps "Guide" is better but I don't know.

My second thought is that it is not obvious that "Stories" are found in the Tools menu (but I'm  not sure what to do about it, as it is probably not a good idea to change the name of the tool menu itself, but perhaps the items *in* the tools menu that actually are stories should include the word "Story" in the name of the menu item.  Adding the word "Story" to some of the tools menu items should be an easy fix that shouldn't confuse but just add clarity.

HTH (Now I have written a lot of words :) - sorry for being lengthy, but hope it clarified what I was thinking...)

//B

Lalit Pant

Feb 18, 2023, 9:23:01 AM2/18/23
to Bjorn Regnell, kojo-dev
Thanks for clarifying, Bjorn. Now I think I know where you are coming from!

Based on your inputs, here's how I am seeing it:

The storyteller pane actually has a couple of different usages:
- it's a place where kids can tell stories with code (via the Story DSL in Kojo, with stories being the things that they create there - by definition, as they create them with, well, the Story DSL!).

- it's a place where we (as teachers) tell stories to *Guide* children, with some such stories available under the Tools and the Help menus. In this context, the "Story Teller" title of that pane is not optimal - as users who bring up the tool/guide are interested in *using* it, without really caring about the fact that it's implemented as a story, and so the title of the pane (for those who notice it while using the tool) might be confusing.

I am not sure that the solution to this potential confusion is to add the word "Story" to the menu items. I would prefer to dynamically change the title of the pane to something like "Guide" in this context (but that might be tricky to pull off, and might be overkill).

On the plus side (for the way that things currently are), noticing that the tool is a story (for the small percentage that do - via the pane title and the tool code) might encourage these users to get curious about stories, try to hack on the tool, and go down that path of learning...

Random thoughts, no definite conclusions ;)
Maybe where we are is pretty ok?

Regards,
- Lalit

Bjorn Regnell

Feb 19, 2023, 8:28:16 AM2/19/23
to Lalit Pant, kojo-dev
> Maybe where we are is pretty ok?

Sure, no big problem; I was just trying to think aloud about an itch :)

Let's see if we perhaps later come up with some easy way of clarifying. The Swedish translation of the "Story DSL" and "Story instance" concepts are not optimal but not a big problem and I we can live with ...

Best
//B

Lalit Pant

Feb 19, 2023, 8:40:24 AM2/19/23