Problem with EDS-plugin in Koha

Magnus Enger

Aug 1, 2019, 2:26:18 PM8/1/19
to kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I'm Magnus Enger, I have been providing Koha services to libraries in
Norway, Sweden and Denmark for 10 years.

I have a problem that I have described like this in an issue on GitHub:

---

I had a Koha installation where the EDS plugin was working nicely, but
after some upgrades it does not work. I have narrowed the problem down
to this:

When I go to the configure page, I enter the username, password,
profileid and customerid, plus all the other information requested.
Then I click on "Load setting from EBSCOadmin now", a small window
appears and disappears, the button says to wait 10 seconds and then an
error is displayed in the "ED settings" field:

{"DetailedErrorDescription":"Invalid IP.","ErrorDescription":"Invalid
IP","ErrorNumber":"139"}

I also notice that the password field has changed. The customer's
password contains a @, but this has disappeared!

EBSCO Support has provided me with the information "In EBSCOAdmin you
have the following IP addresses registered...", and I have entered
them into the "IP Addresses" field.

So I am confused as to which IP is invalid? Do I have to do the
configuration from one of the IPs that are recognized as belonging to
the customer? Can I enter my own IP into the IP field? Any
clarification would be most welcome!

https://github.com/ebsco/edsapi-koha-plugin/issues/62

---

Does anyone have experience with similar problems?

Best regards,
Magnus

Liz Rea

Aug 1, 2019, 2:32:22 PM8/1/19
to Magnus Enger, kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com
I believe that's right, the Koha server will need to be in the authorised IP's to get the configs.

SOMETIMES! EBSCO has got the API account set up incorrectly - if you can't sort it, make sure they know and have double checked what kind of account it set up, and that the profile settings for the client ON THEIR END are correct. They are terrible about having things wrong and not admitting it until the evidence is overwhelming that it's them.

Liz

Magnus Enger

Aug 2, 2019, 4:41:47 AM8/2/19
to kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com, Liz Rea
On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 at 20:32, Liz Rea <wizz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that's right, the Koha server will need to be in the authorised IP's to get the configs.
>
> SOMETIMES! EBSCO has got the API account set up incorrectly - if you can't sort it, make sure they know and have double checked what kind of account it set up, and that the profile settings for the client ON THEIR END are correct. They are terrible about having things wrong and not admitting it until the evidence is overwhelming that it's them.

Thanks Liz! Guess we have to look closer at this.

I tried to ask EBSCO support about what should go in the "IP
addresses" field in the plugin. They gave me a list of the IPs that
are "in EBSCOAdmin", and then said "The IP address <of the Koha
server> cannot be registered to EBSCOAdmin because it is used by
Koha." And then this little gem: "You may want to contact support in
Koha at https://koha-community.org/support/ for further advise how to
set up the plugin." :-)

So, do others have the IP of their Koha server registered in EBSCOAdmin?

Best regards,
Magnus

Nick Clemens

Aug 2, 2019, 7:38:55 AM8/2/19
to Magnus Enger, kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com, Liz Rea
As I understood, if the username/password was valid then the pluign used that to authenticate in to Ebsco, if those are incorrect it wants the IP of the Koha server to be registered as an authorised IP.

The other list I thought were the IPs that could access EDS content without signing in.

I could be wrong

Nick Clemens
ByWater Solutions
Phone: (888) 900-8944
Pronouns: (he/him/his)
Timezone: Eastern

Liz Rea

Aug 2, 2019, 8:35:18 AM8/2/19
to Nick Clemens, Magnus Enger, kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com
That's more or less what I thought as well. I got an alert that there was a new version today maybe you need it?

Magnus Enger

Aug 2, 2019, 6:21:43 PM8/2/19
to kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com, Nick Clemens, Liz Rea
Thanks for your input, Liz and Nick!

EBSCO support added the IP of the server to their system, and now I can retrieve the "EDS Settings"! Yay for progress! :-)

But when I then try to save the whole plugin config form I get a 500 Internal Server Error...

The Plack error log was showing this:
CGI::param called in list context from package Koha::Plugin::EDS line 111, this can lead to vulnerabilities. See the warning in "Fetching the value or values of a single named parameter" at /usr/share/perl5/CGI.pm line 436.
But the 500 presists even after I fixed that, but there is nothing in the logs, not in plack-error.log and not in intranet-error.log

There is a *lot* of data in the "EDS Settings" field - something like 40153 characters - I wonder if it just too much to be sent in the query string of a GET request?

Liz: Do you mean a new version of the plugin? Where did you see that?

Best regards,
Magnus

Liz Rea

Aug 2, 2019, 6:47:49 PM8/2/19
to Magnus Enger, kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com, Nick Clemens
I'm a contributor on that project so I got an email from GitHub :) I'll forward the email to you.

Magnus Enger

Aug 3, 2019, 2:50:29 AM8/3/19
to Liz Rea, Magnus Enger, kohaeds-u...@googlegroups.com, Nick Clemens
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 at 00:47, Liz Rea <wizz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a contributor on that project so I got an email from GitHub :) I'll forward the email to you.

Thanks! Looks like a pull request that has not yet been merged. But it
sure looks promising! :-)

Best regards,
Magnus