BPMN process versioning

Jakub Grabowski

Jan 26, 2021, 7:29:00 AMJan 26
to Kogito development mailing list
Hi All,

I was thinking about versioning in Kogito BPMN processes and tried to read something, but Kogito docs seem to skip the subject. Do you have any experience regarding it?
I'm talking about deploying new version of process (e.g. new User Task or gateway) and being able to finish inflight instances of processes started on previous version. How to acheive it?

Regards,
Jakub.

Jakub Grabowski

Feb 15, 2021, 12:56:17 PMFeb 15
to Kogito development mailing list
Hi,

Self-bump ;-) Any ideas on the subject? I've been thinking about some convention on process id, including version and cloning processes to reflect new version, but it's not very elegant approach.

Regards,
Jakub.

Cristiano Nicolai

Mar 1, 2021, 10:49:38 AMMar 1
to Kogito development mailing list
Hi Jakub,

I agree this is something that still needs more thought as it can be complex. Overall I would say to try to avoid migrating inflight processes unless you really need to. You can redirect new requests to new versions ( completely new runtime/service instance ) and let old instances complete.

Another possibility with the current API is to start a new process instance using the REST API and passing a X-KOGITO-StartFromNode header, that way you can copy the state of the current process and send as the state of the new instance, restarting the process from a specific point/node.

This area is something that will be looked more into details of upcoming releases.

Best regards,

Cristiano Nicolai