Dont-create-tabs mode

Stephan Müller

Jan 2, 2011, 6:35:09 AM1/2/11
to Kod.app
I would like to have a new mode which allows fast file browsing,
without tab overload. It should be toggled by a menu item, and work as
follows:

* The file selected in the sidebar should be shown, but no additional
tab opened
* One can navigate in the sidebar with arrow keys, showing the
highlighted file instantly

In addition, following features could be added:

* Allowing to drag a file from the sidabar into the tabbar, creating a
new tab
* Shortcut or contextual menu for files in the sidebar to open a new
tab

The new mode could be a starting point for implementing a new tab
experience as discussed in the Tabs thread
http://groups.google.com/group/kod-app/browse_thread/thread/7c637d547e684bab

Stephan Müller

Jan 2, 2011, 10:43:03 PM1/2/11
to Kod.app
I put some more thoughts into the issue, and came up with a different
solution:

* cmd-click on a file in the sidebar opens the file inside the current
tab.

Since one can open a different file inside the same tab by editing the
path-field, a tab already is some kind of mutable file container
anyway.

I would even prefer to have the "open on same tab" behavior as
default, and pressing cmd to create a new tab. This would feel like
links in a webbrowser.

The "cmd for new tab" paradigm could be further expanded to work
inside the path-field (enter opens the file inside the same tab, cmd-
tab opens a new one).

Zach LeBar

Jan 3, 2011, 1:17:49 PM1/3/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
I really like this idea. Tabs themselves come from web browsers, so following paradigms like this are, IMO, a smart idea, especially when they're intuitive like this.

+ 1 for implementing this.

- Zach LeBar

Rasmus Andersson

Jan 4, 2011, 9:16:35 AM1/4/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
That's a great idea. Suggestion:

- holding cmd when hitting enter in a location field opens a new tab

- holding alt when selecting a file in a list replaces the current
active tab/document with a new document for that file

And providing settings which toggles these behaviors.

Sent from my iPhone