Is Kod still alive?

zaid

Sep 29, 2011, 5:06:19 PM9/29/11
to Kod.app
I would love to contribute but don't have time to do so. Anyone
carrying on with developement? This is an amazing editor. Would be a
shame for it to disappear.

Alberto Piu

Sep 29, 2011, 5:22:57 PM9/29/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Hi zaid.

I would like to help myself, but I have neither the time nor the skills.
Certainly it is not full of life, but I do not think it's definitely dead.

At least I hope that. It's such a great editor. :-)

Alberto

Tyler Washburn

Oct 10, 2012, 10:35:12 PM10/10/12
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Rasmus has pretty much given up on this little gem.

I'm starting development on my own fork of it at http://git.io/kod if you're interested

Noli Sicad

Oct 10, 2012, 10:52:00 PM10/10/12
to kod...@googlegroups.com
The alternative is gedit for Mac OS X.

http://blogs.gnome.org/jessevdk/2012/01/15/gedit-3-2-6-released-for-os-x-native/

I think gedit for Mac OS X is probably better than the commercial
SciTE for Mac OS X. It mimic SciTE for Mac OS X IDE.

gedit has auto save, syntax highlighting and terminal (plugin).

Noli

rsms

Oct 19, 2012, 10:32:22 PM10/19/12
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Kod was a vacation project of mine and after my vacation, when I moved to a different country, I had no time to spare for Kod and thus it would be fair to say that Kod is indeed dead. I've been using Sublime Text 2 myself for a while now, and I think that Sublime Text in several aspects supersedes Kod. Sure, there's no parser (only a scanner/lexer) and performance could be a little bit better (opening a 14k large file takes a few milliseconds in Kod but many seconds in ST).

My recommendations:

• If you are a _user_ of Kod: Try Sublime Text 2 or Textmate 2, both of which try to fill the same space as Kod.

• If you are a _developer_ (i.e. hacking on Kod): Please feel free to for the code (mainline at https://github.com/rsms/kod) and send pull requests if you want your progress into mainline. Feature additions might require some discussion which can happen either in a GitHub pull request or "offline" over email (rasmus–notion–se).

Cheers!

-- Rasmus