Dead Project

VelkyMX

Jul 8, 2011, 1:26:37 AM7/8/11
to Kod.app
Is Kod.app a dead project?

Patrick Breitenbach

Jul 8, 2011, 1:36:13 AM7/8/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
It's definitely on some sort of hiatus (only 2 commits since April) but I'd cut Rasmus some slack since he just moved to the states and started working at Facebook.

John Einselen

Jul 24, 2011, 4:50:53 PM7/24/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Patrick! Good to know, I do hope Kod development can continue, whenever Rasmus has the available free time and desire to do so. :)

Iaian7 / John Einselen

Dirk Geurs

Aug 4, 2011, 12:36:54 PM8/4/11
to Kod.app
I have been following the development of Kod for a while now and to be
honest I'm kind of disappointed that no one seems to be interested in
helping Rasmus out with the core features of the editor. He has done
all sorts of things to set up Kod for contributors but so far very
little interest has been shown in helping out with the core features.

This comes as surprise to me since Kod has all the characteristics of
worthwhile open source project. It's innovative, challenging and
there's plenty of interest in a new text editor for OS X. Just think
of the possibilities of a syntax aware editor!

Anyway, I don't believe Kod is dead but it's quite an ambitious
program to write. If we are all gonna sit here waiting for Rasmus to
finish it could be a while. As for myself, the fact that I don't have
any obj-c experience has been holding me back. But since I took a few
months of to learn new stuff I will be diving in soon. My guess is it
will take me a few weeks to get up to speed though.

On Jul 8, 7:26 am, VelkyMX <velk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Kod.app a dead project?

Tim Trueman

Aug 4, 2011, 12:40:47 PM8/4/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Even if I wanted to learn Objective-C/Cocoa and fix bugs and add minor features, I don't think I could; Kod doesn't build in the latest Xcode. I wish it did because I would definitely play around with fixing a bug or two here and there…

Ryan Jafari

Aug 4, 2011, 12:46:23 PM8/4/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. There is huge interest right now for the next editor, since TextMate 2… well yeah (barely functions properly on Lion for me). I've spoken to a number of developers working on new editors, none of which are open source, and some closer to completion than others. Chocolat seems like it might actually happen (http://chocolatapp.com/) and looks pretty neat (alpha now, will be 30 GBP I think I heard).

But yeah, Kod seems like it could be great and Rasmus has done a lot to make it easier for people to help out, considering his new position and relocation.

Thanks,
Ryan

Gabriel Harrison

Aug 4, 2011, 1:38:39 PM8/4/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Ryan you make it sound like you own a copy of TM2? Is that true? As far as building under the new XCode, I have Kod building but I had to revert to 0.3. The master branch for Kod doesn't build under Xcode 4, nor does it come with the syntax highlighting engine that you use in the Kod you download. It took me a while to do this but I was able to.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Dirk Geurs

Aug 4, 2011, 1:40:35 PM8/4/11
to Kod.app
To be honest, I don't get all the excitement for Chocolate. It seems
to me that there is nothing they are building that's even remotely
innovative. I could be wrong of course, but I doubt it will have
features like a live AST, or an asynchronous architecture scriptable
using node.js. Everything in there is already here today right?

On Aug 4, 6:46 pm, Ryan Jafari <ryan.jaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agreed. There is huge interest right now for the next editor, since TextMate 2… well yeah (barely functions properly on Lion for me). I've spoken to a number of developers working on new editors, none of which are open source, and some closer to completion than others. Chocolat seems like it might actually happen (http://chocolatapp.com/) and looks pretty neat (alpha now, will be 30 GBP I think I heard).
>
> But yeah, Kod seems like it could be great and Rasmus has done a lot to make it easier for people to help out, considering his new position and relocation.
>
> Thanks,
> Ryan
>

> On Thursday, August 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Dirk Geurs wrote:
> > I have been following the development of Kod for a while now and to be
> > honest I'm kind of disappointed that no one seems to be interested in
> > helping Rasmus out with the core features of the editor. He has done
> > all sorts of things to set up Kod for contributors but so far very
> > little interest has been shown in helping out with the core features.
>
> > This comes as surprise to me since Kod has all the characteristics of
> > worthwhile open source project. It's innovative, challenging and
> > there's plenty of interest in a new text editor for OS X. Just think
> > of the possibilities of a syntax aware editor!
>
> > Anyway, I don't believe Kod is dead but it's quite an ambitious
> > program to write. If we are all gonna sit here waiting for Rasmus to
> > finish it could be a while. As for myself, the fact that I don't have
> > any obj-c experience has been holding me back. But since I took a few
> > months of to learn new stuff I will be diving in soon. My guess is it
> > will take me a few weeks to get up to speed though.

Ryan Jafari

Aug 4, 2011, 2:44:00 PM8/4/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
You may be right Dirk. I think its just that people like me love checking out new stuff, if for nothing else but for the sake if it being new and for the hope that it might be marginally better than what we're using now :) Really what I'm excited for in Chocolat is a fresh experience while still being able to use my TextMate themes and Bundles/Languages (haml, sass in particular). Aside from this I hope it doesn't suffer from too much feature bloat, as personally I don't need a whole lot else.

And Gabriel unfortunately I have not been blessed with TM2, sorry for confusion!

Thanks,
Ryan

Patrick Breitenbach

Aug 5, 2011, 7:47:03 PM8/5/11
to kod...@googlegroups.com
Chocolat probably won't cure cancer or solve world peace but it has some interesting attributes.