Is Kod depreciated?

已查看 721 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Alex

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:34:322012/1/17
收件人 Kod.app
Hi, just wondering if development is still continuing on Kod or if it
has stopped, as seems to be the case with any of the good, usable,
well interfaced, and free text editors around.

Alberto Piu

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:35:302012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
It is stopped (for now).

> --

Nathaniel Schweinberg

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:36:282012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Learn vim ;)

Alex

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:36:432012/1/17
收件人 Kod.app
Thank you for the feedback!

Terin Stock

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:37:282012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Learn emacs!

(As a Vim user and supporter, that was hard to say…)

--
#Terin Stock

Gabriel Harrison

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:38:312012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I haven't looked at all the licensing, since as I remember it there was a lot, but there seems to be no reason that I can remember why someone couldn't just fork the code and make Kod2 just like iTerm did.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Alex

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:39:152012/1/17
收件人 Kod.app
Actually, thanks a bunch, I'll look into them both. If anyone has any
great (free) text editors they just love please comment. I'm a broke-
as-can-be college student and I need this a bunch. Thanks again!

Gabriel Harrison

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:41:482012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
If you're running a Mac, a few nights of Mac and Cheese over normal dinner could net you the $20 you need to buy TextMate which is a wonderful editor.

If on a PC, look for Intype.

The guys who mentioned Emacs and Vim were both trolling to some degree. Those are decent editors, and they do have GUI versions (barely) but they are mostly editors used on the command line and take a decent amount of training to use well. They can be very frustrating for new users.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Alex

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:44:092012/1/17
收件人 Kod.app
I am rolling OSX, and eating ramen every bloody night, but I might be
able to scrape together something.

Steve Lianoglou

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:45:232012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Alex <mib.run...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, thanks a bunch, I'll look into them both. If anyone has any
> great (free) text editors they just love please comment. I'm a broke-
> as-can-be college student and I need this a bunch. Thanks again!

Repeating the obvious:

* emacs
* vim

Others:

* TextWrangler
* SublimeText2 (http://www.sublimetext.com/2). It will be commercial,
but currently the betas are free
* jEdit is still quite capable

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou

Jacob Maskiewicz

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:44:512012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I use text wrangler and macvim for most coding, and coda for Php web development.

Eclipse is nice too if you're looking for a full fledged java IDE.

My roommate uses XCode and really likes it, but I'm not convinced.

-Jake M

Sent from my iPhone

Terin Stock

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:46:462012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Although I was trolling with emacs, learning one or the other would probably make you insanely productive, and able to move from OSX to your servers without having to learn a new editor or change mindsets.

I agree, however, TextMate is a great editor, and the upcoming TextMate 2 is shaping up to look good. I forgot the exact steps for it, but I know TextMate has an education license, which should save you a good couple of bucks.

The only other editor I've heard good things about recently is Sublime Text 2, but that costs more than TextMate, so probably outside your budget.

--
#Terin Stock

Teak Topham

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:49:252012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Try TextWrangler. It's the free version of BBEdit and has mostly the same features.

Thanks,
Teak

Alex

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:50:332012/1/17
收件人 Kod.app
Actually I have textwrangler as sort of a backup, as I absolutely
despise the interface, thanks though.

On Jan 17, 2:49 pm, Teak Topham <teak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try TextWrangler. It's the free version of BBEdit and has mostly the same features.
>
> Thanks,
> Teak

Nathaniel Schweinberg

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:54:132012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I was trolling a bit too, but I came from using Kod, TextWrangler, Espresso, and Coda at different points in time. I learned Vim with a friend who knows it really well, and he also got me started with his setup, which is arguably better than a vanilla install. You can check his stuff out at https://github.com/scrogson/vim-dotfiles .

Granted, Vim definitely has a steep learning curve, but once you learn it, GUI based editing feels SOO slow, haha.

All the Best,
Nathaniel Schweinberg

Alberto Piu

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:57:162012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com

Il giorno 17/gen/2012, alle ore 20:54, Nathaniel Schweinberg ha scritto:

Granted, Vim definitely has a steep learning curve, but once you learn it, GUI based editing feels SOO slow, haha.

Agreed! So true.

Gabriel Harrison

未读,
2012年1月17日 14:59:132012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I won't disagree with either the vim or emacs coders. I use vim as well but I am still more productive using a full fledged IDE. Perhaps I still haven't mastered the options. On the other hand I am carpal tunnel and emacs claw free. :P

Thanks,
Gabriel

Terin Stock

未读,
2012年1月17日 15:01:522012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I've found that the Command-T extension to Vim replaces most of what I need from an IDE (and coupled with fugitive and a few syntax files, and I'm pretty much set)

--
#Terin Stock

Nathaniel Schweinberg

未读,
2012年1月17日 15:04:122012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I echo that. Command T, Snipmate, Ack, surround are all great vim plugins that replace the need for a GUI. You can find those in my friends vim setup on github ;)

Sent from an amazing device designed in California

Terin Stock

未读,
2012年1月17日 15:07:212012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Ha, I use Ack for vim so much, I forgot it's not built in!

I have snipmate installed, but don't use it that often, just like I never remember to use TextMate's tab completion either.

--
#Terin Stock

Gabriel Harrison

未读,
2012年1月17日 16:11:462012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Snipmate is nice. Command T equates to new tab in iTerm so it's a bit incompatible for me (could look at changing it). Have to look into Ack and other plugins. Thanks for the info. Now, (showing my age) I am going to try and see if I can snipmate to work on Vim 6.0 for the Amiga. :)

Thanks,
Gabriel

Terin Stock

未读,
2012年1月17日 16:15:422012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I have Command-T set to <Leader>t, because command doesn't go through ssh sessions to remote servers very easily.

I have <Leader> remapped to ",", to keep my hands closer to main keys.

--
#Terin Stock

Nathaniel Schweinberg

未读,
2012年1月17日 16:24:402012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
Same here. Another nice remap is remapping ; to : when not in visual mode. This way, you don't have to stretch your fingers out when performing any vim command, let :set .

If you're curious, put this in your .vimrc file,
nnoremap ; :

It can get in the way of using ; to perform last find, but if it's not important to you, I'd remap it =]

Terin Stock

未读,
2012年1月17日 16:28:082012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
And while we're at it, remap "jj" for <ESC> in insert mode, because how often do you really type double j's?

inoremap jj <ESC>

--
#Terin Stock

Hailey Hinson

未读,
2012年1月17日 18:27:232012/1/17
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com
I'm kind of surprised that no one mentioned smultron. Its my favorite
as far as a simple text editor goes.

It recently became a $5 paid app, but it was open source for a long
time and you can probably find a free version somewhere.

I also hate textwrangler interface. It bugs me every time I try to use it.

Hailey Rene
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://PursuitOfFocus.com
Productivity in an Attention Deficit World

Bottleboot

未读,
2012年1月21日 13:17:562012/1/21
收件人 kod...@googlegroups.com